Uh, what happened? Where is everybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by godiscus View Post
    This is worth reviving. Someone must know how. Someone must be paying hosting fees??
    I don't think anything is happening godiscus. The forum has been fed to the dogs!
    The forum owner has fled too so I'm not sure who's running this sinking ship now.
    The place is just overrun by spammers who are having a field day

Comment

Originally posted by godiscus View Post
      This is worth reviving. Someone must know how. Someone must be paying hosting fees??
      Yep, somebody is paying the hosting fees and the domain name registration. There are people out here who would like to help them.

Comment

How does one get rid of the spam bots?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
          I think the long term answer might be to configure the forum to require a Turing test (Google's version is CAPTCHA) to stop bots acquiring accounts.

Still, most spam is only coming from a handful of bot accounts right now. It does seem to me that a moderator could simply suspend those accounts to slow the noise a bit. I'm not sure if moderators HAVE that authority and if any are still active. I might try flagging one or two spam posts and see if anybody responds.

Comment

Update: I flagged posts from the three most recent/prolific spam-bots. We will see if anybody is awake at the wheel. Once again, I'm happy to help with this if any admin is reading...

Comment

You can't Rebel. They are here to STAY!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dcm View Post
                Update: I flagged posts from the three most recent/prolific spam-bots. We will see if anybody is awake at the wheel. Once again, I'm happy to help with this if any admin is reading...
                Good luck with that.
                We all know the forum owner has abandoned ship so who's left?

Comment

Interestingly, the three spam-bot users I reported yesterday have been silent today (this may have been co-incidence, standard MO, or somebody MAY have reacted to the reports). Disturbingly, there are three more spam bots whose "join" dates are July 2021, suggesting that they were swiftly replaced.

Today I reported "analyticalessay", "poemanalysisessayexamples" and "buycollegeessays", all well regarded aquarists I am sure :-) I will see if they are goneski tomorrow.

There is also a very old and crude Turing test at the Aquariumlife registration page but is one that I believe can be easily defeated by chat-bots, let alone something as sophisticated as a Captcha farm.

If the accounts are being replenished then the site would need some bigger artillery to stop these accounts from being created. It's not my field but my guesses would be something like Google Recaptcha v3 or even two factor authentication. This is outside anything I've ever done to a website (and I stopped fooling with websites back in 2007).

Of course is, once weaponry has been selected to fight this, the nature of this weaponry must not be disclosed in a user-visible post so nobody (should) come back and say "Hey, I think you're right, we're going to do XYZ..." (not that I think this is likely). A basic tenet of cyber security is you give as little away as possible as to what's under the hood on your site.

My thinking here is that the spam infestation is a confluence of vulnerable infrastructure, low posting and passive moderation (which means the low posting allows the spam bots to operate unfettered).

Comment

Spam prevention will be built into the software. Few clicks shoukd do it without knowing anything about web design.

What are we doing here? Shouldnt we be at FB?

Comment

Spam prevention will be built into the software. Few clicks shoukd do it without knowing anything about web design.

Nah Rebel the forums are where the cool people hang out

Comment

FB is a too unethical for me to support. AL is dead in the water....

... time for a new paradigm.....(but I've got nothing to offer.)

on a side note.... I noticed my two local chain pet stores have significantly downsized the their aquarium sections.. the initial COVID lockdown surge must be over.

FYI. There is still a little life in skf forum - used to be shrimpkeepers now skfaquatics.
                        Last edited by Grubs; 09-07-21, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks Grubs. Great to see you are kicking around the bush and greenhouse. The end of an era. Maybe I should start a new forum but I feel that real organic growth would be minimal due to FB, Insta and other avenues.

DIY Joey has over 1 million subs now. He has a HUGE fishroom etc.

Tiktok etc are here to stay.

Comment

Im still here
                            drop in kill the spam bots
                            Havent heard from the owner in 6 or more months
                            Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
                            No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
                              Im still here
                              I just hope the owner is ok. If they surface and want help, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
                                Im still here
                                They seemed eager to get back onto the forum after their long hiatus. I wonder what happened. He was excited for all but 5 seconds then disappears again.
                                He pretty much done a Christopher Skase. Ruined the forum then fled. Well played

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0