This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED: Barclaya longifolia RED - plants or seeds

Looking for Barclaya longifolia red and/or green.

Mature plants, pups, or viable seed to propagate.

Post to Melbourne.

Let me know what you have and what you want for it.

I fear the rise of aquascaping, nano tanks, and underwater moss trees has been to the detriment of these once common magnificent feature plants. Don't let the Barclaya slip from the hobby... Propagate like mad and share the Barclaya love...

Also looking for uncommon Aponogetons.

EDIT: found green and magenta - still looking for RED
    Last edited by Grubs; 30-08-14, 09:18 AM.

Aquaristic in Sydney had some last time I was there. Can't remember price but do remember thinking it was not over the top.

Comment

Thanks for the lead Angel - I called and they don't have any now. They said they do get it from time to time but not on a regular basis...

... so still looking.

Comment

Grubs, there was a gent I bought some stuff from here in QLD recently who was keeping Barclayas. I'll see if I can track him down and put you in touch.
        Cheers,

Rufus

"I completely lost it. Well, okay, that sounded more awesome than what I really did, which was yell. And by yelling I mean sending a bunch of TEXT MESSAGES ALL IN CAPS!"

Comment

G day mate a few guys in EDAS have them as well as some less common Aponogetons.

Comment

I have a lead on a green. I have some seeds for a magenta... but where are the bold deep red barclayas?

Comment

What's the difference between the red and magenta?

Comment

I'd be keen to know too. Have never heard of a magenta Barclaya.
                Cheers,

Rufus

"I completely lost it. Well, okay, that sounded more awesome than what I really did, which was yell. And by yelling I mean sending a bunch of TEXT MESSAGES ALL IN CAPS!"

Comment

"magenta" is a made up name for a variety that has a bit of red... but by all accounts isn't very red

(note - I haven't seen the mother plant - just going by what the grower told me).

I'll put some seeds under a couple of different lights in diff tanks and see what emerges
                  Last edited by Grubs; 30-08-14, 11:47 PM.

Comment

I have one from an EDAS member. It grows red new leaves that turn iridescent green/red with a pink underside in my tank. Haven't been able to propagate it yet.

Comment

Probably be from the same source v.o. 10+ seeds germinated... but early days yet.

Still looking for RED RED RED

Comment

Grubber, have you tried posting on QLDAF? I know there have been a few hobbyists here in QLD who have propagated it, but not sure about now. Might be able to make contact there?
                        Cheers,

Rufus

Comment

Just saw one only plant in Sydney a few weeks back. I did purchase it and it is already throwing out new leaves and I noticed the last few days a flower! Do they self pollinate? Any advice on getting the most out of this opportunity so it can be shared :-)

Comment

Barclaya spp produce submersed flowers and seeds are produced(Cleistogamy). The flower pods mature and the pod eventually rots away revealing the seeds inside. The plant usually dies back after flowering but will generally start growing new leaves in a few weeks
                            8x2x3, 8x2x2.5 6x2x2 5x2x2, Echinodorus, Eriocaulons. Native aquatic plant species.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up - I'll be sure to try and 'capture' that seed pod at the right time. Appreciate the advice on the likelihood of the plant dying back - saves me a panic! Out of interest if I were to pinch the flower out would this bypass that stage?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0