Thread: Hang on Back filters

Question Hang on Back filters

got another one for yas! woo!

These seem to be the most popular HOB filters around. (as in most stores carry them)
    anyone swear by one brand over another?
    as their specs are much of a muchness...
    they are all the lead in models (smallest) with the best prices i've found online.

Aqua One 200.......$24
    Aqua Clear 20.......$38
    Eheim Liberty 100..$36
    Jebo 501..............$20
    Supreme aqua.......$10
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

I have both AquaClear 20 and the Supreme Aqua (200L/h). From experience the AquaClear has a superior design. The media basket is much larger than on the Supreme and also allows you to customise the media to whatever you like. I think i should add that the Supreme uses a really thin filtering pad, that doesnt last very long. I've stuffed filter wool in the filter basket so that there is more area for bacterial growth, otherwise i wouldnt trust it to filter very well. The AquaClear is also quieter and is of much higher quality compared to the Supreme.
    My friend has the AquaOne 200 and he says its really loud compared to my AquaClear. He thinks my AquaClear is much better compared to his filter. His AquaOne also uses a thin filter cartridge, and isnt filter media isnt as good.

from what i have heard/read aquaclear are the best as far as hobs go. i have a couple of the aquaone 200's there alright but if i was to get a hob again i would buy something different.
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

I have two Aquaones, as malignau said they are really loud, i wouldn't recommend them, they do there job but no amount of tinkering will reduce their vibration. Ive only heard good things about aquaclears...

Thumbs Up

no one's used an eheim liberty?

hmm... looks like aqua clear is mack daddy of the hob filters according to the... wait lemme count them again... 3 replies so far.

great, just needed some justification to their costs.

ps: my brain hurts
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOMON View Post
    I have two Aquaones, as malignau said they are really loud, i wouldn't recommend them, they do there job but no amount of tinkering will reduce their vibration. Ive only heard good things about aquaclears...
    I second this

I've only tried the Aquaone H-200, great filter, but the noise is really its downfall. Since I havent tried any other HOB's, cant comment much of them.

I'd say the Aquaone is good overall
    Aquaclear, just more expensive, I guess you get what you pay for though

I have used both aquaone (can't remember the model) and the cheap Jebao ones. The aquaone got noisy and burnt itself out... the cheap ones are still running and really quiet.

The model i have is really small and only cost me $10 ! So great price
    antonym: constructivist

Wow, I have used two different sized Aqua-one hob filters that came with their different "starter" kits. I never found them to make any noise, even when having two in a bedroom at night. Perhaps I should hang on to them (pun intended, sorry)
    Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

my aquaone's don't make any noise either, i'd still probably go for something else though.
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

I have the eheim liberty 100, its silent, sturdily built and reliable, i like it even if it is a bit more expensive