Thread: Sleeping Pearl Gourami?

Default Sleeping Pearl Gourami?

Hey guys
    Just got a question, I've noticed my male pearl gourami who is very active during the day is lying on the gravel tonight. He's still moving but is he just sleeping or is something wrong?

When I put food in he'll get up and gobble down some food then go off to the same place and lie down again.
    Last edited by Li2099; 30-05-08 at 09:30 PM. Reason: more info

he doesn't look sick from the photo. is he upright or lying on his side? it's hard to tell from the angle. if he's upright, and isn't brethaing too fast or anything else, i'd say he's just sleeping.
    Katy

48x14x18", 200L - barbs, loaches, giant danios | 50x50x50cm, 125L - endlers | 33x12x16", 100L - licorice gouramis, gold rams, kuhli loaches.

Yeah I think he's sleeping because everyday when its daylight, he's really active and eating a lot.

Anyways got another question to ask, what's making my water froth?
    Its only a little bit and it appears at the edge of the glass. I presume it's at the edge touching glass because the filter water current and the air pump is pushing it outwards.
    When I wipe it with a cloth, it's a bit black.
    I use Prime everytime and also activated carbon in my filter. Is that whats making the water foaming?

Maybe its a bubble nest made by your gouramis???

why do you use activated carbon? this is not necessary in a mature aquarium.
    Katy

48x14x18", 200L - barbs, loaches, giant danios | 50x50x50cm, 125L - endlers | 33x12x16", 100L - licorice gouramis, gold rams, kuhli loaches.

Hi, yeah maybe its a bubble nest but I don't even know what it looks like and have only recently heard/ read about it.
    I use activated carbon because I just got this tank and I didn't know what to use. It was suggested to me by the lfs and also said in my Aqua One manual.
    I'm really a noobie and this is my first month into the hobby. So thanks for your replys ppl.
    BTW i've also got ceramic substrate, filter wool and ceramic noodles in the filter trays. Theres 3 of them in the hood. The filters built-in.
    Last edited by Li2099; 01-06-08 at 04:25 PM. Reason: filter media

Just a word of warning about using carbon in filters.... once it has absorbed all of the impurities that it can, if it is not removed & replaced with new stuff (or replaced with something better altogether) then it can dump everything it has absorbed back into the tank which will cause all sorts of problems.

One reason many people actually never use the stuff now.
    Tanks: 250L, 200L, 90L, 60L, 29L & 25L

MTS & MLTS: Dare you to stop at ONE!!!

Oh ok. I bought a 1.5kg container so I'll use that up eventually but whats better than that I can use?

Heres some new pics of my tank mates:

Seachem purigen can be used to replace carbon, if you want something to remove impurities such as tannins in the water from driftwood. Other than that you can replace it with anything you like, I replaced mine with Seachem Matrix.

Lovely gourami's by the way
    Tanks: 250L, 200L, 90L, 60L, 29L & 25L

MTS & MLTS: Dare you to stop at ONE!!!

Thanks man. I love them too.
    I'll look into the Seachem Matrix and Purigen. From memory Purigen isn't cheap! like $30 for a small bottle.