Thread: Giving the ol AR-980 one last hurrah - re scaped!

Default Giving the ol AR-980 one last hurrah - re scaped!

GDay guys.

Well it took me almost a year since I asked about rescaping this tank but ive finally done it.
    It ended its low tech life looking like this

Time had come to give it a new lease on life and get rid of the gravel.
    Its scaped with Amazonia II sub and river sand from my LFS, seiryu stone and Australian redwood. I have a 2.6kg CO2 system to hook up and will probably piss the hood off with this years tax and canister it and put a MMLED up top.

Ill be using pretty much all the plants from the low tech scape and adding some stems I have from another tank. Planning on planting this weekend.
    No doubt ill be adding a few plants types to this as it evolves but for now I should have enough to get it planted pretty solidly.

I have my filter media in a tub with a spare filter, heater and the fish from the old scape. Since I flooded last night and go the filter back up n running im hoping I didnt loose too much BB, so they can get to work on eating up the ammonia from the fresh aqua soil and hopefully the cycle isnt too long.

Hardscape done.

Flooded the tank last night.
    A few tweaks still to do but glad to get the new scape underwater n cycling.

Love that scape dude.

The AR980 looks little crude without the hood to hide the bracing and what not. When I used to have one, it was a pain to maintain.

The inbuilt filter is pretty awesome at biological filteration and oxygenation. The position of the intake and output are not ideal though. I'd be tempted to just inject the CO2 and pay attention to flow within the tank.

If you stay away from lots of stems, it will be more than sustainable. Rotala colorata might be a nice highlight plant in the middle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Love that scape dude.

The AR980 looks little crude without the hood to hide the bracing and what not. When I used to have one, it was a pain to maintain.

The inbuilt filter is pretty awesome at biological filteration and oxygenation. The position of the intake and output are not ideal though. I'd be tempted to just inject the CO2 and pay attention to flow within the tank.

If you stay away from lots of stems, it will be more than sustainable. Rotala colorata might be a nice highlight plant in the middle though.

Yeah ive gotten use to maintenance with this tank and the cross brace with the hood gone isnt ideal but for now, without dropping some solid coin on a tank and cab it seems like a good option since the equipment ide buy now (canister and light) could still be used on a new tank. The filter has tonnes of room and is packed with bio media and some good foams ontop. In the low tech scape I ran a wave maker to get some good circulation which I was planning on using again in this scape.

For now, ill stick with the hood as the T8's were replaced around 2 months ago.

I was thinking of either AR or Rotala Colourata in here. I have both at my disposal.

Sounds like a good plan with the canister and light also.

love the hardscape!! I have the 850 and while they are nice units aesthetically the major drawback is getting your hand to the back of the aquarium when you have the light unit on. i have to lift it up on it's side to do maintenance and you just can't see what your doing, so I think i'm going to add a RGB submersible light at the back of the tank so i can see. The filter is great keeps water crystal clear and room for other media. if you choose to to use a light unit instead of the canopy you could use Acrylic as condensation lids (as thick as the brace) so it would give a level look. Acrylic is better as it's far more superior than glass at that thickness.
    Althought individual fish do not cost much, do not think of fish as cheap little expendables.

I modded the back part (ie filter) by attaching led strip lights to the plastic. Otherwise any stem plants at the back had a tendency to grow forward looking for light.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I modded the back part (ie filter) by attaching led strip lights to the plastic. Otherwise any stem plants at the back had a tendency to grow forward looking for light.
    I was thinking of just attaching it to the back of the glass. it won't be to aid in plant growth just so i can see inside the tank when doing maintenance.
    Althought individual fish do not cost much, do not think of fish as cheap little expendables.

Thanks guys.

Good tip about the bottom of the filter not bing lit so stems will try and grow forward. I can see this happening so might make a change to recitify if it becomes an issue.

Regarding backlighting. You guys mush have been watching me last night. I too a spare Phillips Hue strip and put it behind the tank and was happy with the test results: https://imgur.com/a/ORBMS2D

Nice work with the hue. I have a generic led strip behind mine and really like the effect.

ADA have taken it to the next level with a backlit led panel as an add on for their tanks.