Thread: What size tank for pygmy perch?

Default What size tank for pygmy perch?

Hi

I have 6 pygmy perch in a 2ft tank currently and love them. I was thinking of setting up a smaller 65l (2ft) tank for them and aquascaping it with my 7 year old niece over the school holidays. Would this tank be big enough?

Pygmy perch (Edelia vittata) need a tank that is at least 2 foot long and 3 foot is better. Make sure the tank is cycled before adding fish, or keep the feeding down to a couple of times a week and do a 75% water change any day there is an ammonia or nitrite reading. Once the tank has cycled (after about 4-6 weeks), they can feed the fish each day and do a 75% water change once a week.
    *NB* Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Having lots of live plants in the tank, especially floating plants like Water Sprite (Certatopteris thalictroides/ cornuta), will help keep the ammonia levels low during the cycling process.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin_T View Post
    Pygmy perch (Edelia vittata) need a tank that is at least 2 foot long and 3 foot is better. Make sure the tank is cycled before adding fish, or keep the feeding down to a couple of times a week and do a 75% water change any day there is an ammonia or nitrite reading. Once the tank has cycled (after about 4-6 weeks), they can feed the fish each day and do a 75% water change once a week.
    *NB* Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Having lots of live plants in the tank, especially floating plants like Water Sprite (Certatopteris thalictroides/ cornuta), will help keep the ammonia levels low during the cycling process.
    Of course, I have kept fish for years. Just trying to save some $$ as I'm also scaping a 4ft tank