Thread: Lighting for 40cm cube, medium level plants

Default Lighting for 40cm cube, medium level plants

Hi everyone, we've taken CO2 off our 40cm cube, so our Kessel is too bright now (algae going nuts!)

Does anyone have a recommendation for medium lighting - it's been ages since I've bought an aquarium light.

Thanks if you can help

Dawn
    Take care
    Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Hi nchanted.

Take a look at the Chihiros lighting range. Good bang for buck and relatively cheap.

A-series or A-series plus (plus model is wider so covers more area of the tank and more expensive).

If you need colour leds then the RGB version is a lot higher in price but very good for planted tanks. The newer version is not as good as the original version as we are discussing in another thread.

I personally have makemyled chihiros light and pretty happy with it.

Plenty other lights out there but depends on your budget. If you decide on the Chihiros then you need to buy it from eBay or Aliexpress. I am not sure what happened to the Aussie distributor that used to sell them.

With your Kessil, is it just possible to dim it or lift the kessil? Due to inverse square law, the light will diminish very quickly even if you raise it slightly.
    Last edited by Rebel; 25-06-19 at 10:18 AM.

I agree with Monty.

Personally I think it's better to pay a wee bit extra for the old RGB series.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chih...770781669.html

If you just want a basic but solid light A plus is more than enough.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chih...771184569.html

I am undecided on the new RGB series though.

Newer WRGB, VIVID and other options are available according to your taste and budget.

If you have $400, I think look into AI prime freshwater. Personally I think this is a bit too expensive for a 40cm tank.

Aus dollar is very unhelpful currently.

Thanks Monty, I'll take a look at Chihiros, I've got a smallish budget at the moment - I appreciate your time. D
    Take care
    Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Hi Rebel, interesting advice.. thanks... I will look into moving the light upwards - it would certainly be the cheapest option!! I have 2x upaqua z led's I think they're called on a matching tank. They've been going good, but the plants don't do much without co2. Thanks for your time.. re RGB.. I hadn't thought of really adding any colours, but will check that out too! Ta, D
    Take care
    Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Other option is to install something that blocks light from the kessil, But you'd have to measure surface temperature of the lens and make sure the material doesn't melt. Photographers use ND filters which come in gels (look up Rosco Nd filter gel) and these can withstand some heat and take away any amount of light.

Ohhh... a glass camera lens perhaps?
    Take care
    Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Can try some baking paper. Cheap and heat resistant.

Hi Rebel..... how can you tell the difference btwn the old and new series???

noob question but i need RGB for red plants hey??? thanks