Thread: Blood worms

Default Blood worms

Hi all
    I've seen blood worm feeders online for live blood worms but do they work for frozen blood worms ? And since I travel a bit is there an automatic feeder for frozen blood worms ? I like feeding my fish but since I added Pakistani loaches they love nibbling my fingers while I dissolve the worms which does feel a bit weird and probably not good for them .
    Cheers

The plastic worm feeders that look like an upside down icecream cone with holes in, are used for live Tubifex or Black worms and are useless when it comes to frozen food.

The automatic feeders are only used for dry flake or pellet food. They do not work with frozen or live food.

If you spend some time away, then just feed the fish 3-5 times per day while your there, and let them go hungry when you're away. Do more water changes to compensate for the extra food going into the tank.

Fish can go for days, weeks and even months without food. If you spend a week away then just let them go hungry. If you spend several weeks away, try to get someone to come in twice a week and drop some frozen food in the tank. Measure out the food and put it into small containers with labels for the days when it gets fed. Make sure they only feed one portion per feeding.

If you have lots of plants in the tank, the fish will pick at them too.

Condition them well for week or two before you go away for a week. One week of fasting could even be beneficial.

Also if you have omnivores with soft stem plants, not heavily loaded with fish and have some shrimps in the tank, you could push for two weeks.

If you’re absent for longer or have plantless tank for Goldies or cichlids, invest in an ehiem auto feeder for $80.
    Last edited by tpg_god; 06-06-19 at 05:51 PM.
    Robert

The only auto feeder that's even a consideration is the Eheim autofeeder. Mine still works and it was bought in 2006.

Never let a non-fish person feed your fish.

One week fast is fine but I reckon auto-feeder is better if they are used to having food daily. You can use freeze dried blood worms in it if you really want.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    The only auto feeder that's even a consideration is the Eheim autofeeder.

You can use freeze dried blood worms in it if you really want.
    The eheim auto feeder is a tad on the expensive side but i have heard good reviews about it. I would invest in it one day if it comes down in price!

Great idea! I have never personally used the dried blood worms/brine shrimp but read up on it. Some like it some don't. But it's better variety than feeding just flakes/pellets in the auto feeder for a week.

mix worms with the flakes..... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    The only auto feeder that's even a consideration is the Eheim autofeeder. Mine still works and it was bought in 2006.

Never let a non-fish person feed your fish.

One week fast is fine but I reckon auto-feeder is better if they are used to having food daily. You can use freeze dried blood worms in it if you really want.
    Do you have the single, or double auto feeder? The double is great and works well, however, it doesn't dispense flakes very well and if you over fill the compartment with large pellets, it skips and doesn't rotate, hence not dispensing the pellets. You need to fill the compartment half way.

Single. Didn't know double existed!

This fella.

Ali express has a copy ($20!) which I own but I've never used it so far!

https://www.amazon.com.au/EHEIM-Auto...05296705&psc=1

This is the one I have. You can program up to 6 feedings a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    https://www.amazon.com.au/EHEIM-Auto...05296705&psc=1

This is the one I have. You can program up to 6 feedings a day.
    Blimey, that thing looks like it could launch pellets across the room!

Thanks all for the good responses .
    I didn't realise that fish could go for a while without feeding . I have a 6 foot tank that is heavily planted so that makes me feel better when I have to travel but will definitely check out those auto feeders . That Eheim one looks pretty cool .

Quote Originally Posted by Oakes View Post
    Blimey, that thing looks like it could launch pellets across the room!
    Hahaha, looks that way but the flimsy spring like mechanism that rotates seems to jump it's notched anchor point if there's too much loaded in the chamber. That and as mentioned earlier the fact that it doesn't dispatch flakes very well is a little disappointing given it's an Eheim. I usually love all their stuff, but I feel I need to voice my concerns if anyone is contemplating buying one.

To be fair, it you only half fill the chambers with small to medium pellets, it works flawlessly. I've had mine feeding twice a day (one chamber with different pellets at a time) for the past 14 or 15 months without a single issue.