Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me improve my 30c

Default Help me improve my 30c

Hi everyone,

This is my 30 cube. Could you guys please give me some ideas how I could improve the look of the tank? There is lots of space for more plants and Iím wondering what I could use to fill the gaps.

No cO2, Chihiros A-301 5 colour light, Eheim 2213 filter. Iíve had a small issue with BBA lately which Iíve been addressing by reducing the light period and adding excel.

Sorry about that the dirty pipes.

Let me know what you think.

You need a picture on the back to make the fish feel more secure.

I would add one Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) plant and let it grow on the surface.
    I would put some taller plants at the back, maybe Ambulia or Twisted Vallis.

Hiya, nice work with the overall aesthetic.

Can you show a picture of the LED diodes (with it on)? I suspect this is a marine light. It will grow plants fine but it may look very blue.

Are you happy to change the soil levels? If so, try to have a slope from back to front if possible. Another nice piece of driftwood would also look nice.

Any closeups of the plants? You may need to dim those lights a little.

Thanks Colin and Rebel.

I suspect this is a marine light. It will grow plants fine but it may look very blue.
    The light has 2 settings. One is all white diodes and the other is white, red, blue. You’re right in that there is far too much blue. I was using the white only setting and recently changed to the multi colour to see what effect it had on plant growth and algae.

Are you happy to change the soil levels?
    The soil actually slopes from the back left corner to the front. I could try to pack it out with some filled bags of stockings to get more height?

The plants are Anubis nana, trident java fern, Bolbitis mini and java moss. Everything grew well for the first 4/5 months and it’s only recently that algae has appeared.

I’ll get some plant photos when the light comes on later.

Thanks

Have you considered a background colour on the glass?
    How about some val in the back ground. I like val and if you have it at the back left rear corner it can grow up and reach over some your drift wood to replicate that same shape of it. It looks like that is where your outflow is.
    I would look at placing the java moss in the front right corner in an L shape, and see if it can be buried just a tad as to not see the mesh. Then fill in the area between the moss and the java fern with a carpet plant, maybe monte carlo?
    Looks good though.

Then fill in the area between the moss and the java fern with a carpet plant, maybe monte carlo?
    Would Monte Carlo go ok without cO2? I’ve never grown it. I have a lot of Crypt Wendtii green in another tank that I could use too.

If you are handy with soldering you can easily modify that light. I did it to mine.
    https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...rgb-led.55743/

Otherwise you could use a permanent marker to black out about 90% of the blue diodes. Or just block them with pieces of electrical tape. This may help with the light although tbh, I reckon you'd have enough even with the whites operating only.

You seem to have some BBA in the some of the plants but they seem to be growing ok.

I reckon some ferts might be helpful with slight reduction of light. Get that crypts in the background if you like the look! More plants the better.

Monte carlo does carpet in low tech but it's a little tough.

Quote Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
    Would Monte Carlo go ok without cO2? I’ve never grown it. I have a lot of Crypt Wendtii green in another tank that I could use too.
    I haven't either, but i'm about to try.

Perhaps try shortening the light period to reduce algae. That room looks pretty bright also.

As I said in my first post, I’ve been trying to address the BBA by dosing Excel and I’ve reduced the lighting to 4 hours per day. As lastlineofdefence noticed, the room is pretty bright too.

Growing to plant some crypts and get more moss on mesh plates going. I may give the MC a crack too if I can find some.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. This is a great forum. I’ll post more photos after I make adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
    ...Growing to plant some crypts and get more moss on mesh plates going. I may give the MC a crack too if I can find some. ...
    Some here ->
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ias-pinto-Buce

Have you noticed any improvements with the Excel?

Cleaned the pipes and added some plants. A few things I’ve noted:

- I have no idea if any of the plants will survive so I didn’t worry too much about where I planted them in the scape. In saying that, I really like how the left side of the tank looks with the Blyxa and whatever the red stem is. I assume the red stem will die eventually due to low tech conditions.
    - I didn’t know how to plant the other green/pink stems that are curtained along the back wall. I’m not happy with them like that but again, I don’t know if they’ll even survive.
    - That’s MC in the foreground. Hopefully it gets going as I like the look of it.

BBA is under control. Adding excel daily, regular small water changes and reduced light period made a difference.

Let me know what you think ��

Better already!

The red stem doesn't have to die. They can be ok without CO2 but will be more brownish.

If possible get rid of the stems from the right 10% of the back and plant them towards the left side. It's nice to have that bit of background showing to improve depth.

No harm in doing 50% water changes btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    If possible get rid of the stems from the right 10% of the back and plant them towards the left side. It's nice to have that bit of background showing to improve depth.

Will do. Thanks Rebel.

There is a tiny bit of Fissidens tied to the wood which canít be seen in the photos. I hope that lives as itís nice.

Fissidens will be fine in low tech. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast