Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 120 Planted Tank Journal

Default 120 Planted Tank Journal

Hey guys,

I just wanted to keep a bit of a log as I go and set this tank up. Feel free to jump in and offer comments and suggestions.
    Tank: 120x45x45
    Stand: "Rack It" 1000kg
    Filter: Seachem Tidal 75
    Lights: Undecided at this stage. Looking at some LED globes.
    Heater: 150watt
    Substrate: ADA amazonia
    Hardscape: driftwood and dragonstone
    Co2: May be be added at a later date.

So the plan for the scape is a triangle composition. Driftwood in the rear, dragon stone around circling the main plant area. Planing on using stems and ferns that I have in a holding tank. I would like some other plants, so will see what I can get my hands on. Im finding with some stems that they can grow quite quick. Foreground I was looking at monte carlo (still need to obtain this) as an easy to grow carpet.

The basic idea for the tank is to have a low maintenance tank. I have been looking into incorporating some new tech into this tank. I would say 'hi-tec' but this seems to automatically imply co2. I wish to add some tech to make the tank low and easy maintenance, and low power, whilst still looking good. Some new tech bits i'm using include the brace-less tank, nutrient rich substate and filter with lots of new features. These things just were not available, say, 10 years ago.

Fish will be rummynose, tetra, platys, and a pearl gourami that are patiently waiting in a holding tank.

So first a few pictures of the tank. This is the highest quality tank I have owned. Brace-less with the thick glass which is even bevelled. Nice

I have added a frost background which I haven't tried yet. I usually have plain black backgrounds.

The stand is a Rack It brand rack which I picked up from bunnings. I waterproofed the MDF and then laid down a black yoga mat down. I have found the Rack It stand to be super easy to put together, easy to mix and match and there is heaps of accessories if needed. They are easy to find and are well rated. So this ~300kg system will be just fine on top.

For the scape I have used three separate pieces of driftwood from the rear corner. There is dragon stone circling this. Main plant section with be around the driftwood. Carpeting plants around the front area. There will be only 2 viewing sides as shown. Not sure if I need to add more smaller driftwood about the area yet. May see how it looks planted first.

Looks great, you may want to add some smaller bits of rock to the front to break up the uniformity.
    Have u considered putting a tile or something similar under the legs, so they don't dig into your floorboards. The edges look pretty sharp?
    Tucker

I have three or four smaller pieces that I might try to move around to the foreground more. There is two near the extended piece of wood in the last pic. I might use some lave rocks to prop up the rear of the rocks where the other two are. They shouldn't be seen.
    I cut up spare pieces of the floor boards and placed them under each leg to save it a bit. They aren't sharp, but Im not 100% sure they are flat or my floor boards are flat.

Looks good. Consider trying to break up the linear look and and blend rocks to look like a larger single rock perhaps. Rocks look too similar in size.

Do you need criss cross bracing for that stand? It feels like it may sway otherwise.

Keep at it!

I am with rebel, put some beams at the bottom (front and back) when you fill that tank with water the rack will sway, I have used the same stuff for a fish rack, two bottom beams wont cost to much and could save for a huge amount of money. If someone bumps it... I hate to imagine what may happen!

Also if you add the beams at the bottom you gain another shelf, keep your filter etc off the ground.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 24-05-19 at 08:42 AM.

I am planing to place plants in between the rocks to break them up. Hoping to use java fern varieties in there.

Cross bracing is not required the beams have slotted tabs in two point which stop them from twisting or swaying. In saying that, I did go out today and bought two more beams for the bottom as per you guys advice. It is totally solid now. Not sure if I will use the bottom as a shelf yet. I was hoping for a more open and clean look. I was going to try hide/minimise cabling and what not. I am plaining on using a hob filter at this stage. Hoping it is up to the task. If not, then I will go with a canister filter. I just find canister filters fiddly and troublesome to maintain, whereas a hob can just be opened and everything is there.

Hoping to begin planting this week. Lighting still need to be sorted out also.

I have rearranged some of the rocks now and I am now happier with it. The diffused light here is temporary. Time to wet it and start planting.

And the val is in. First attempt at planting into ada amazonia. Might have been easier if it was moist rather then wet with the val. Heater and filter are temporary.

Looking good. What light have you gone with?

That hob looks monstrous!!! but perhaps at least add a powerhead for water flow sideways?

So I am using some RGB led globes. I will post up a few pictures soon.

The filter has been great so far. The media basket is huge and it is easy to work with. I am planning on side mounting the filter so it will flow sideways along the length. Will see how that goes. I will change out the filter and heater once livestock is added.

I have got some more planting done and added the background plants.
    Can someone remind me the plant names of pic 2, 3, 5, and 6 (left)? Thanks

2 Hygrophila polysperma
    3 Hygrophila difformis (emersed)
    5 ? Limnophila sp
    6 ? rotala sp

Good choice for tank that's starting up 2 & 3 should grow fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast