Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 120 Planted Tank Journal

Love your work, Rebel.
    The Hygrophila difformis was almost dead at one stage and only had three stems left in another tank. It bounced back super strong when I moved it out and into the holding tank and now I was able to cut up heaps to fill the rear.
    Looking forward to getting the foreground monte carlo plants now.

Here is the lighting setup I am going to try out. I have three wifi RGB LED globes in these lamp stands. I can now dial in any colour and also set timers directly to each individual light globe. These globes also have 'scenes' where a sunrise, sunset, night, and other ones can be used and set with timers. The plants I have should not require any super bright lighting, so these should be just fine. I just attached the lamps to a piece of timber that I bolted into the frame. They can be adjusted up and down and positioned forward or back over the tank.

That's a creative way of lighting your tank. I have previously used a regular E27 6500 bulb on a 30cm cube and it was fine. I never had such fine control of these RGB lamps. Do the lights at full power look pretty bright to you? If it looks bright to you, it will grow plants fine.

It's great to have such fine control and you should definitely dim the left side much more give less plant mass.

I think the Lupy LED light is the only one that I know of which has such fine control to dim certain areas....

Yeah they do look bright enough. Each one lights a room with a soft wide spread, so three on here should be plenty. I can always move the lights up and down, and power each down if need be. Its been interesting adjusting the colours at the moment. I have been liking a warmer yellow. There is a bit of tannins still coming out also.

The Monte Carlo is now planted. It took ages to plant them one strand at a time. I was worried it would all rise and come up when I filled the tank back up. But it all stayed in place mostly. Hoping that it wont take to long to carpet around the foreground area.
    There is also a boom in ramshorn snails as there seems to be small baby ones everywhere. Are they a threat to plants or is it more a visual issue?I figure that the numbers will decline when there is no food to eat.
    Im looking forward to getting some fish in here soon. Maybe in a week or two I will introduce them. I plan on adding the java ferns, narrow leaf, trident and windilov next.

Oh man. One day you are going to be very successful. That level of attention to each strand is unbelievable! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Oh man. One day you are going to be very successful. That level of attention to each strand is unbelievable! Well done.
    2.5hrs well spent
    Its slowly coming together. I am enjoying the build of it all. The plants that I planted earlier seem to be doing really well. I can see some roots on the side of the tank where the val is and they stretch all the way down to the bottom of the glass. I can see a few runners also. Still tossing whether to use co2 at a later stage.

You could do the opposite and use CO2 at the beginning stages and slowly wean off. It can sometimes work but IMHO it's just easier to have CO2 even in low light tanks.

I would at least like to try it. Perhaps at a lower level for healthy plants, rather then super fast growing ones.

Any updates? Keen to see your progress!

Nice timing Rebel, as I was planing an update today.
    So, I have placed in a whole bunch of epiphyte plants into the cracks and crevices of the rocks. I have java fern and narrow leaf on the left side, bolbitis and windelov in the middle, and the trident on the right.Tank seems to be going well with a bit of growth with the stem plants.
    I am having a little trouble mounting the new filter and heater. The intake of the hob filter is just a little too long, so I will just need to remove some substrate and move a val or two to make it fit where I want it. Then the fish can be added!
    And yes, I constantly play with/adjust the lighting. I like to change the angles and colour temps maybe a little too much

Your tank looks good. I'm trying to do the same thing (aquascaping a 4ft). Just waiting for Rebel's lights to show up

I stuffed up and want to start it again. Do you guys think I can reuse my ADA and do a proper aquascape? The soil is only a month or so old but I don't know if I can move the soil etc now.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread
    Last edited by jmarcf; 08-07-19 at 07:13 PM.

It should be fine to move about and re-scape. What concerns did you have about it?

Quote Originally Posted by lastlineofdefence View Post
    It should be fine to move about and re-scape. What concerns did you have about it?
    Just moving it would be hard. I spoke to someone today and he mentioned he has done it many times. Just need to put it in the oven for a while to dry it again

Quote Originally Posted by jmarcf View Post
    Just waiting for Rebel's lights to show up
    Just sent you message.

Yes you can just move the soil. Just siphon it out. No need to dry unless you want to store it for months etc. Expect some breakdown but it should be 95% fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast