Thread: Anything new in heaters?

Default Anything new in heaters?

Been away from the hobby for a while and wanting to heat a 60ltr tank.
    I have dug up a 50w Sera I had laying around but just coming up short in power tho I am yet to bump it up. Still think it will struggle.

Just wondering if there has been anything new thats come up in the last 6 or so years in heaters? Google hasnt shown me much at this stage.
    Currently looking at getting a 75w, either Sera or Jager.
    Last edited by MrFish; 14-05-19 at 08:32 PM.
    Cheers,
    MrFish

25cm Cube

No changes to heaters AFAIK. More brands available. Aquaone has become reliable. In saying that each heater is only realible until it gets stuck....

I purchased one of these PTC heaters recently. I was looking for a new heater and its slim design was appealing. The LED displays are very bright and a little distracting but on the other hand I no longer have to search for my reading glasses and squint at a thermometer!

@Oakes, Is the PTC set at a fixed temperature?

PTC looks like an interesting tech because seemingly it can get stuck??

Hi Rebel, temperature can be set anywhere between 20-34 deg.C. Most of them just display the set temperature. On the above one with a dual display the set temperature is the lower display. The controller on the power cord is used to adjust it. The upper display is the current water temp (thermometer).

PTC might be less prone to getting stuck. I don't know how the thermostat mechanism differs. Should also be more energy efficient.

Ive seen those PTC come up in my Google searches but I know nothing about them. Quite a few brands out of Asia now that I haven't heard of. I cant help but question the reliability since they are so cheap.
    Prices are certainly attractive. Cant help the thought of coming home to either boiled or freezing cold fish and shrimp.
    Last edited by MrFish; 15-05-19 at 06:39 PM.
    Cheers,
    MrFish

25cm Cube