Thread: Powerhead in 3 foot tetra tank?

Default Powerhead in 3 foot tetra tank?

I have a 3 foot tetra tank, very planted red cherry shrimp and a few different types of tetra and a sponge filter.

I have never understood the concept of size of sponge filter to tank size ratio so to me the filter is possibly to small and I found a 600 lph powerhead in my parts cupboard so I was wondering if this popwerhead would give to much current for the tetra's or would it be ok?

Any help appreciated

Not at all. For a 3 foot planted tank, most people would use about 1500l/hr in general. some would say 3000l/hr for very densely planted.

I use 1400l/hr for my 2 footer.

Your powerhead will be fine.

Thanks, appreciated

Tetras don't naturally occur in fast flowing water so do not put too much water movement in their tank. You can use the power head but monitor it and if the fish are constantly swimming into currents or being washed around the tank, then reduce the flow or have the power head on a timer so it comes on for 30 minutes twice a day.

Most fish never swim into currents continuously. They swim upstream into currents and then rest in calm water behind rocks and logs, or they find deep pools to rest in. After they have rested they might move upstream a bit more.

If fish are forced to swim into strong currents continuously, it eventually weakens them and they are more likely to develop diseases and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin_T View Post
    Tetras don't naturally occur in fast flowing water so do not put too much water movement in their tank. You can use the power head but monitor it and if the fish are constantly swimming into currents or being washed around the tank, then reduce the flow or have the power head on a timer so it comes on for 30 minutes twice a day.

Most fish never swim into currents continuously. They swim upstream into currents and then rest in calm water behind rocks and logs, or they find deep pools to rest in. After they have rested they might move upstream a bit more.

If fish are forced to swim into strong currents continuously, it eventually weakens them and they are more likely to develop diseases and die.
    Wow thanks for that, i'll remember that for future use, makes perfect sense