Thread: Where to buy bulk/concentrated gluteraldehyde?

Default Where to buy bulk/concentrated gluteraldehyde?

Hi guys,
    As per the title, can anyone recommend a company that would be willing to sell me 5L of concentrated gluteraldehyde? I had some for years that I was given by a member from Perth, but I have run out and am struggling to find a source. My tank is 1500L so the commercial aquarium branded bottles are prohibitively expensive...

Aquagreen will sell you Dinosaur Spit (10% Glut) for a reasonable price.

what the hell do you want glutaraldehyde for?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin_T View Post
    what the hell do you want glutaraldehyde for?
    Algae control.

Reduce light, add more plants, do water changes. It's safer than adding poisons to the tank. All the chemicals people add to tanks eventually takes its toll on the fish.

Some people are so stressed by the algae it is better for their mental health to get a quicker result. However I do agree with your post except the bit about reducing light, add more light and faster growing plants, revise the fertiliser regime you have in place. If you reduce the light the algae will come back when you increase the light. Death, taxes and algae, it is all going to happen regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Death, taxes and algae, it is all going to happen regardless.
    LOL, I like that

Default Inadvertantly cured my BGA infestation...

Hi guys, long time between drinks... Quick update to the BGA situation I had going on - It has all but dissapeared. I added an anti scale cartridge into our household filter system (along with a sediment filter and UV sterilizer) which has had a few very interesting impacts on my tank, most noticeable of which was very quickly eliminating the BGA. The other noticeable impact is that the sunset hygro tips are significantly more pink than they were previously, with no change in the fertilizer regime. This is leading me to think that somehow the excess of calcium in the water was impeding the plants ability to uptake iron? The filter is an atlas filtri anti scale cartrdige full of polycrystals. According to the manufacturer, the stuff in the crystals bongs with the calcium to stop it adhering to pipes, shower heads, kettles etc.

https://www.atlasfiltri.com/en/produ...hosphate/ha-sx

Looks to be a typical ion exchange resin.

Often these will release Sodium to each Calcium exchanged. Some plants may not like that but it doesnt matter if your tank is doing well.

Very high Calcium can lead to issues with absorption of other ions but I dont know for sure how it applies to aquatic plants.

Good to hear you solved it!