Thread: Duel intake/outlet off the one canister filter?

Default Duel intake/outlet off the one canister filter?

Hey guys, your thoughts on doing this, before I start hacking away at hoses and spraybars and glass lids!
    Iím thinking about dividing my 3 footer in half to keep 2 different types of fish.
    The dividing barrier Iíll be using is Ďplastic canvasí I bought from spotlight today. Itís just a plastic mesh, with quite small holes. Due to the small holes, if I have the intake/outlet on one side, the further side will not get much flow at all. So I was thinking if I could just make the single intake and outlet into 2 at the tank level and have one for each side? The filter Iíll be using is a Jebao 912, thinks itís about 1000/Lh, but I do have an Aquanova 1500 (1500/Lh) that I could use if I get some parts. Iím not after a massive amount of flow as Iíll be using both sides for breeding, but of course, Iíll want a decent filtration of the water. Water in this tank is about 180L.

Am I being silly or has this been done?

Cheers,
    Adam.

What parts do you need for aquanova?

You can definitely split intakes and outputs. Go for it.

Just a tap for the outlet. I bought some new ones a while back, but one of them was faulty and I didn’t bother doing anything about it, just continued with the Jebao.

Bewdy! I had a feeling I’d be sweet doing it. Thanks mate, appreciate your help!

Faulty as in why? Curious about the Nova.

It leaks out the side. Opposite side to the ‘handles’ of the tap, were it turns inside the main body. You can blow through it with the tap in the off position and feel air coming out the side. I got the filter secondhand and got new taps and O rings for them, set it up and it leaked straightaway. Then re-installed the Jebao and have been using that ever since.

Dont bother with the nova. Mine is the same after replacing the head and all taps. Its a designor batch fault I reckon. My filter and parts were brand new.

Just put the outlet on one side of the tank and the intake on the other side. The filtered water will travel from one section, through the mesh and into the second section where it will be picked up by the filter intake. Make sure the divider remains clean and away you go.

Cheers for the advice Rebel. I may have to use it though....the Jebao is pushing air out now, from god knows where! Still works fine, but every so often, at regular intervals, a stream of bubbles come through the outlet. Changed the outflow tap and it’s got a brand new head seal. The only thing I can think is the self primer O ring may be gone. It’s not leaking anywhere though.

Colin, I was originally going to do that mate, but the dividing wall I got has very small holes and I’m actually thinking of glueing moss to most of it for the fry to graze on.

I've had canisters leak air from the intake which gets sucked down into the canister and then spat out the other side. Check all your hoses again.

With filters, I reckon stick to Aquaone or higher. At least Aquaone has a 3 year warranty. The others are better with parts etc although not so sure about the low grade Fluvals and their general quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ApistoAdam View Post
    Colin, I was originally going to do that mate, but the dividing wall I got has very small holes and Iím actually thinking of glueing moss to most of it for the fry to graze on.
    Drill a bunch of big holes in the divider or cut a section out and stick some mesh on both sides.