Thread: Looking for ideas on catching two fish lol

Default Looking for ideas on catching two fish lol

I bought a persons collection of fish today, this guy awkwardly for me, put them all in one bucket (about 40), I managed to seperate them into the tanks they where going to, except for 2 fish I accidentally put in my heavily planted tetra tank. A young black widow and a Columbian Tetra. The other black widow and Columbian Tetras I had put into another tank.

Question is, what is the best way to catch these 2 fish without disturbing all the plants and other tetras?

Any help appreciated

Some form of trap with food in it, live food helps makes this quicker. You'll inevitably catch everything but them though hahaha A bottle with the top 1/4 inverted in is usually enough. Just hang it somewhere in the tank with a string or something and hang around a bit away from the tank until they go in. This would be my bet, or wait till they are asleep, than flick the lights on and this generally gives you a short time frame ( <10 seconds) while they are dazed.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Two nets at night with 70% water off tank. If need be 90% water off.

Get a 10 or 12 inch fish net and a 6 inch fish net.
    Set the big net on the gravel and the front of the glass and use the smaller net to slowly guide the fish into the big net.

There's no need to remove water or do it at night, just use one net to slowly guide the fish into the bigger net and lift it out. It should take all of about 30 seconds if done properly.

I tried the trap, just caught the bristlenoses and shrimp but nothing else rofl, did the 2 different size net trick, put the big one in on it's for about an hour to get the fish used to it then the smaller net, that worked well. Thanks all

I have tried catching fish before in my tank. It is an unbelievable task especially if you have one net

Even with low water it is difficult if you have small fish.

I ended up just scooping them up in buckets. But the 2 nets idea is the best method!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin_T View Post
    Get a 10 or 12 inch fish net and a 6 inch fish net.
    Set the big net on the gravel and the front of the glass and use the smaller net to slowly guide the fish into the big net.

There's no need to remove water or do it at night, just use one net to slowly guide the fish into the bigger net and lift it out. It should take all of about 30 seconds if done properly.
    +1
    You want to guide them rather than chase them. It drives me up the wall when people chase fish with one net in fish shops.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    It drives me up the wall when people chase fish with one net in fish shops.
    Amen to that. I use to visit a shop and bought and sold rainbowfish to them. The boss let me catch my own fish because he knew I could and it meant his workers didn't have to spend time catching them for me. In fact the rule was that I always caught my own fish. One day I went there and a new worker wouldn't let me catch some Pseudomugil connieae (this was a long time ago when they first appeared in Australia). The kid spent 5 minutes chasing the fish around the tank and eventually I said stop, leave them alone, I will get something else. The kid didn't listen and spent several more minutes chasing them around before he eventually got them and bagged them up. Three of them died on the way home and the other 2 died later that night. I went back the following day and told the boss, who did his nut because they were expensive and rare.

The kid only used one 5 inch net and refused to use 2 nets. The fish were in a tank that was 3ft long x 2ft wide x 18inches high and had nothing in it except gravel and an undergravel filter.

make the room dark as possible, night time is best, after about half an hour in the dark use a strong light to spot the fish, slowly put the net under it and lift it out.