Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: air pump recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hey Spidy, check indirs thread about his rack. All will be revealed.
    Breeding Rack Journal, I assume?

We get blackouts here through the year so my pumps are just duel outlet 5w rechargeable ones with 2.5L/min flowrate each outlet giving out total flowrate of 300L/hr for the pump or 150L/hr per outlet which is plenty for my little shrimp tanks and I run 2 large filters from 1 pump for my 4ft tank.

I still have 2 of the 4 running that I originally bought over 2 years ago, with the other 2 recently the charging port fully died on one that had been touchy for a while and the other one needs new rubbers that I might strip from that one as it still pumps and recharges just not as strong a flowrate as normal.

The 1st one in the link is the ones just mentioned, when power cuts out I get about 14.5hrs life by built in 2200mah battery in intermittent mode (pumps a bunch of time, stops for 5-10 secs and keeps going) and half that in continuous mode once fully charged (if it reaches fully empty which it rarely does, you need to go into charging mode for about 20 mins then can put it back to running mode and the rest recharges while running), it has 4 indicator lights to show how much it's charged, they are lit when running and lighting up one after the after when in charging mode making it easy to tell the 2 modes apart. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Ultr...frcectupt=true

For a charger I just run the 2 pump off one of these with their USB charger cables they come with, the 2 connection ones are cheaper though, I like that it lights up as makes it easier to tell if it stops working, mines been running 2 pumps for over 2 years with no issues. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Ports-...4AAOSwK6RZGYAV

The one I got to replace the low flow one is a larger capacity 3600mah one of similar flowrate that has been great so far and I think a higher flowrate than the 2200mah one, so maybe 3L/min, being a step up in battery size it should be 20-30hrs in intermittant mode once the power cuts out (I haven't disconnected it and timed it to test that yet), they are all out of stock for that one though.

I eventually want to upgrade the 2 pumps to this bit 4 outlet 3L/min (180L/hr) each outlet one that lasts 40 hours with no power once fully charged or 2 of the smaller version of this one 2 outlet ones. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-DC-Au...frcectupt=true
    Last edited by critter guy; 26-03-19 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by critter guy View Post
    We get blackouts here through the year so my pumps are just duel outlet 5w rechargeable ones with 2.5L/min flowrate each outlet giving out total flowrate of 300L/hr for the pump or 150L/hr per outlet which is plenty for my little shrimp tanks and I run 2 large filters from 1 pump for my 4ft tank.

I still have 2 of the 4 running that I originally bought over 2 years ago, with the other 2 recently the charging port fully died on one that had been touchy for a while and the other one needs new rubbers that I might strip from that one as it still pumps and recharges just not as strong a flowrate as normal.

The 1st one in the link is the ones just mentioned, when power cuts out I get about 14.5hrs life by built in 2200mah battery in intermittent mode (pumps a bunch of time, stops for 5-10 secs and keeps going) and half that in continuous mode once fully charged (if it reaches fully empty which it rarely does, you need to go into charging mode for about 20 mins then can put it back to running mode and the rest recharges while running), it has 4 indicator lights to show how much it's charged, they are lit when running and lighting up one after the after when in charging mode making it easy to tell the 2 modes apart. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Ultr...frcectupt=true

For a charger I just run the 2 pump off one of these with their USB charger cables they come with, the 2 connection ones are cheaper though, I like that it lights up as makes it easier to tell if it stops working, mines been running 2 pumps for over 2 years with no issues. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Ports-...4AAOSwK6RZGYAV

The one I got to replace the low flow one is a larger capacity 3600mah one of similar flowrate that has been great so far and I think a higher flowrate than the 2200mah one, so maybe 3L/min, being a step up in battery size it should be 20-30hrs in intermittant mode once the power cuts out (I haven't disconnected it and timed it to test that yet), they are all out of stock for that one though.

I eventually want to upgrade the 2 pumps to this bit 4 outlet 3L/min (180L/hr) each outlet one that lasts 40 hours with no power once fully charged or 2 of the smaller version of this one 2 outlet ones. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-DC-Au...frcectupt=true
    Very helpful, thanks. I don't think the air flow of the big unit is quite enough but the smaller model with 2 outlets is something I am seriously considering for a different part of the setup. Found a Hopar air blower that seems reasonably priced and Hopar as a company seems reputable.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    @Colin - How would drilling a larger diameter hole increase air flow/pressure? The pump diaphragm is only made to produced X amount, the larger hole would just allow the air to get out of the system quicker. In reality I would think this would cause a drop in pressure but i suppose more air in the system quicker. Is this not the case?
    The air chamber has the outlet pipe that the airline is attached to. You drill that out to allow more air to get pumped out.
    The air chamber also has 2 small holes under the rubber diaphragm. These holes have a flutter/ flapper valve over them and allow air into the air chamber. You drill these 2 holes out too.

By making the holes in the air chamber bigger, you allow more air into the air chamber and more air can be pumped out of it. It works on the same principle as porting the cylinder heads on a car engine. You allow more air in and get more coming out.

--------------------------
    For Happyfins

Turn the air pump off and unplug it from the power point.
    Turn the pump upsidedown and remove the screws holding the bottom onto the pump. There is usually 4 but sometimes 6 screws holding the base on. Remove the base after removing the screws.

Inside the pump is a metal L shaped arm with a magnet on the end. There is a rubber diaphragm attached to the L shaped arm. The rubber diaphragm fits over the plastic air chamber. The air chamber has the air line attached to it.
    The diaphragm can be taken off the air chamber and removed along with the L shaped arm. It comes out in 1 piece.

The air chamber is normally held onto the inside of the pump by a screw. You undo the screw from the outside of the pump and remove the air chamber. There should be a rubber washer between the air chamber and the side of the air pump.

The air chamber should have 2 small bits of rubber with a thin bit of rubber under it. There should be one on each side of the air chamber. These thin parts are the flutter/ flapper valves.
    Use a small flathead screw driver to carefully lift the thicker bit of rubber up and out of the air chamber. Then carefully life the thin flutter valve up. There should be a small hole under the flutter valve. You drill these holes out and make them a bit bigger. Do not make the holes too big, they need to be smaller than the flutter valve or it won't work.

You drill out the long thin bit sticking out from the side of the air chamber. The air line gets attached to this long thin bit. You make the hole slightly bigger to let more air out.

Once you have drilled out the air chamber, put the flutter valves back in and put the rubber washer on the inside of the air chamber. Screw the air chamber back onto the case and reattach the diaphragm and L shaped arm.

Have a look at the bottom of the case and there should be a small hole possibly with a bit of filter floss or similar in the hole. Drill that hole out a bit too. Put the base back on the pump and plug it back in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12