Thread: Shaggys 182L Nano tank

Default Shaggys 182L Nano tank

Hi all, I've been meaning to do one of these for this tank since I tore down its predecessor, so here it finally is, though the tank is not yet 'done' so to speak. I'm calling it a nano tank as I plan on sticking to nano fish (with the exception of a whiptail catfish). I'm not a huge fan of keeping nano fish in nano tanks, I think unless you're only stocking shrimp or a single fish then there's no reason to have a tank smaller than 2ft.

Equipment:
    Tank - AquaOne Horizon 182L 122x36x45cm - Swapped the old ugly stand for a slightly bigger stand with doors on it, moving up in the world! Added a lid to the tank, just 2 sheets of perspex cut to size with cut outs for the lily pipe.
    Lights - 2x 54W T5 lights in a 'Supreme Aquarium Products' light fixture I got from a closing down fish shop down my way a while ago.
    Filter - Eheim Experience 350
    Heater - AquaOne 200W, just stuck on the back of the tank for now, hoping to make it inline eventually so it's out of the scape.
    CO2 - Not messing with it until I'm happy with the tank (read: when I can be bothered going for a refill ). I have an Ista External CO2 Reactor, a bubble counter, but no drop checker. I'm aware my plant choice doesn't demand CO2 but I have the equipment so why not.

Hardscape:
    Dragonstone - lots of clay in it, gave them a good hosing and scrub
    Goldvine driftwood
    Pool filter sand
    Amazonia soil

Quick overview:
    The goal was to have a scape of dense jungles on either side of the tank, with a sand path separating the 2 sides. Each side would have driftwood sticking out of it, and the base of the driftwood would be the centre of the plant mass. I was never super keen on stems, mainly because I couldn't decide how they would fit in to the scape, and thought I'd rely on a wad of Trident Java Fern to give the dense plant mass look I was after.

I am working towards stocking the following livestock, though no longer sure about the Green Neons;
    x15 Corydoras habrosus - Salt and Pepper Corydoras
    x20 Paracheirodon simulans - Green Neon Tetra
    x10 Nannostomus eques - Diptail Pencilfish
    x4 Trichopsis pumila - Sparkling Gourami
    x1 Royal Whiptail Catfish
    Cherry Shrimp
    Amarinus lacustris

Current Stocking:

x9 Sparkling Gourami, was growing them up until I find 4 to keep and move the rest on.

Xmas moss
    Crypt lutea
    Crypt 'found a bunch for cheap at a pet shop with no name so who knows'
    Crypt balansae
    Aponogeton crispus
    Anubias 'nangi'
    Anubias barteri
    Anubias nana
    Anubias 'emerald heart' maybe
    Micro Java Fern
    Indonesian Java Fern
    Good ol regular java fern
    Blyxa japonica
    Bucephalandra 1
    Bucephalandra 2
    Echinodorus 'Ozelot'
    Bolbitus
    Mayaca
    Amazon Frogbit
    Ludwigia glandulosa
    Alternanthera reineckii
    Lobelia cardinalis

Those last 3 plants really aren't doing well, and almost all the crypts melted away and so far have no signs of coming back.
    Pictures on the way

I apologize in advance for the poor photography, after trying to take photos of my tank, I now appreciate all the nice photos I see on here so much more hahaha

This is the initial set up of the wood, before I soaked the wood for a few months

23/12/18 Before I'd stuck down the Anubias and Bolbitus (I still haven't stuck down all the Anubias)

As of today 5/03/19 There's still moss, java fern (micro and reg), anubias, and buce to be stuck down around the place, just not sure where.

Here's some spots where crypts have melted back, looks like they've fully rotted away

Some shots of the gouramis, they're tricky to photograph as they think they're being fed and won't sit still

Looking good. Too bad about the crypts which can sometimes do this. Perhaps they didn't like the massive ammonia spike from the amazonia?

If you've got access to CO2, I would absolutely encourage to use it. Then if you really want to, you can wean the tank off after the initial growth spurt.

Just wanted to say that's a fabulous livestock list. I love small fish in large tanks!

How are those gouramis going?
    They look great for nano tanks. Do they get on okay with each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Too bad about the crypts which can sometimes do this. Perhaps they didn't like the massive ammonia spike from the amazonia?
    Interestingly none of the lutea melted, and the crypts that were hit the hardest came from down south with a different water supply, whereas the crypts I salvaged from my old tank held strong for longer, so I think maybe there could have been a shock from just even pH or hardness. I don't doubt the ammonia spike had something to do with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Just wanted to say that's a fabulous livestock list. I love small fish in large tanks!
    Thanks, I'm very much looking forward to an adorable school of corydoras habrosus foraging around my tank
    I'm thinking that the Green Neons might make the tank too busy. The corys will stick to the bottom and apparently the diptail pencils don't often move away from the surface, so a middle layer fish would complete the tank but the gouramis are all over the place, and it's plenty interesting just watching them do their own thing as it is. I think I'll just leave the Green Neons til last to add to the tank, they're expensive fish anyway hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by lastlineofdefence View Post
    How are those gouramis going?
    They look great for nano tanks. Do they get on okay with each other?
    I bought the gouramis on valentines day, so 3 weeks ago now. For the first week they all stuck together as a school, then they split up in to 2 schools and started colouring up real nice, now there are 2 or 3 couples spawning and getting quite aggressive to the other fish. I'll be honest for such a small fish they sure do put in a good chase after each other. I'm trying to move on 5 of them, now that I can somewhat see who the couples are, but unfortunately 2 of the fish already have lesions on their sides from the bullying. Nothing brutal but the damaged spot doesn't shine like they used to. Hopefully they find a new home soon! Apparently 18L per fish isn't enough! Not sure how people comfortably keep trios of sparkling gouramis in nano sized tanks.

Now I just need to decide the sex ratio I want to keep the final 4 gouramis at...