Thread: RO/DI units

Default RO/DI units

Looking for some advice from members who have purchased in the last few months an RO/DI unit. Searching this forum and reading elsewhere, there is plenty of variety but not very many recommendations (unless its and LFS pushing some brand).

Specifically, which brand did you buy? How many stages? What extras were purchased and types of filters, etc.

I'm in Melbourne and though our water is quite good (nice and soft for Discus and Rams), I find there is always a very high concentration of phosphates and silicates straight out of the tap.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I use one from Filter Systems Australia (Model #GT1-70DIALK), it hasnt missed a beat in the few years i've had it. Doesn't get used as regularly as it used too but it works great. It even has a drinking water outlet which tastes pretty crisp to me. Only thing I did was buy a long RODI tube so i could run the tubing across the room (online not in stores... but bunnings carries this at an inflated price) and a 100L rain water tank which I use to store RODI water.

I prefer the counter top mounting ones because they can connect to the tap and be removed at any point, etc. Which is great if your in a rental like I am. I'm in sydney and water is pretty soft here too by the way (< 100 TDS from tap)

There is another popular brand mostly amongst the reef keepers, PSI water filters. I think you should be able to find a discount code for both on some of the other forums floating around.

Waste water is good for your garden/washing clothes/etc and i've heard of people using the waste water in fry tanks too.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    ........Waste water is good for your garden/washing clothes/etc and i've heard of people using the waste water in fry tanks too.
    Interesting!

Hey @Indir, Curious to see what the TDS of the waste water would be?

Do any of these units actually remove phosphates and silicates? I know they remove chlorine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    Do any of these units actually remove phosphates and silicates? I know they remove chlorine.
    Yes, I think so. the DI membrane should remove everything.

https://www.labconco.com/articles/wh...d-di-water-pur

As rebel mentioned, as long as you get the RO/DI than it should remove everything. RO units only remove certain things from memory. (You'll have to to mix with tap or remineralise the RO water if the RODI water is all you plan to use in the tank).

@Spidy - forgot to mention. Some units rejection water to clean water is quite high (I.e. 4:1), the one I use is 1:1 or so. So you'll get 100 litres of clean RODI water and end up with 100 litres of waste/rejected water. This is important if you want to save on some water usage.

@Rebel - Havent measured it in a while, but from memory it was around double the tap water roughly.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

We use granular ferric oxide in reactors to remove phosphates in marine tanks, it may work for freshwater too?

........@Spidy - forgot to mention. Some units rejection water to clean water is quite high (I.e. 4:1), the one I use is 1:1 or so. So you'll get 100 litres of clean RODI water and end up with 100 litres of waste/rejected water. This is important if you want to save on some water usage...........
    Yes I saw that on YouTube and immediately decided not to use it, until you mentioned a 1:1 unit. That I can live with.

Usually these are the more expensive ones. Ebay jobs tend to be the much worse 4:1 or 5:1 versions... Stick to the two sites/brands i mentioned above and you should be alright to obtain a 1:1 system.

Usually these are the more expensive ones. Ebay jobs tend to be the much worse 4:1 or 5:1 versions... Stick to the two sites/brands i mentioned above and you should be alright to obtain a 1:1 system.
    I've reached out to Filter Systems Australia and asked them about one of their systems. Awaiting their response.

Actually, this one looks good too:

https://www.psifilters.com.au/di-ree...-125-to-1.html

As @indir mentioned, every time this subject comes up. Filter systems get massive recommendations from many people. Don't buy ebay cheapies given you will use the system for many years.