Thread: Question regarding MML Tubes

Default Question regarding MML Tubes

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my Juwel Lido 120 aquarium lighting and I was looking at 2 x MML 60cm FULL SPECTRUM 6800K XB2 LED TUBES

My question is, will the tubes will be sufficiently waterproof enough to withstand the humidity under the hood?

I've attached an image of where I'm thinking of mounting them, I have noticed a fair amount of condensation on the existing T5 unit.

Any help would be great : )

No they won't. The drivers will fail due to moisture ingress and perhaps even over heating. The newer design of the tubes have an integrated driver and requires replacement of the whole strip if it fails.

You'd need a IP65 (68 would be better) fixture for that space. Either that or you can DIY a fixture if you are handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmack_90 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my Juwel Lido 120 aquarium lighting and I was looking at 2 x MML 60cm FULL SPECTRUM 6800K XB2 LED TUBES

My question is, will the tubes will be sufficiently waterproof enough to withstand the humidity under the hood?

I've attached an image of where I'm thinking of mounting them, I have noticed a fair amount of condensation on the existing T5 unit.

Any help would be great : )
    You can waterproof them with silicone. Also worth mentioning that all led systems (including our tubes) mounted under a hood need ventilation to prolong their life, vent holes at the top of the hood to allow heat and moisture to rise out naturally is all you need to achieve this.

Cheers, Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    No they won't. The drivers will fail due to moisture ingress and perhaps even over heating. The newer design of the tubes have an integrated driver and requires replacement of the whole strip if it fails.

You'd need a IP65 (68 would be better) fixture for that space. Either that or you can DIY a fixture if you are handy.
    Not quire correct Rebel, maybe you meant to say "If the circuitry inside the tube fails due to moisture then only that section of 6 leds will stop, the rest will keep going like a trooper"

Unlike most other power led systems on the market, our XB2 tubes are very diy serviceable by design in the event that water gets in. Pop off the end caps, slide the acrylic cover off, remove the section of 6 leds (you'll need a soldering iron for this part), drop in a new one in and you're good to go. The new XB2 model also runs very cool, 15% cheaper and can tolerate a fair bit of accidental abuse compared to it's XB1 predecessor.

Cheers, Fred