Thread: Small fish for a bathtub DIY pond

Default Small fish for a bathtub DIY pond

I'm based on the Sunshine Coast (SEQ - subtropical) and have a bathtub pond outback that I want to add some more diversity to.
    I already have ornate rhads, pacific blue eye and pond snails.

I don't want the fish fry or eggs to be too heavily predated on, so I'm looking for small fish with small mouths.

These are some of my ideas so far, what would you recommend?
    - White Cloud Mountain Minnow
    - Japanese Ricefish
    - Cherry shrimp
    - Ghost shrimp
    - Smelt - I hear they aren't very hardy?
    - Honey Blue Eye - if I can find an ethical source and if they don't interbreed with pacific blue eyes
    - Firetail or western carp gudgeon - might be too nippy or overpopulate the setup maybe?

I'm thinking rainbows, platy, larger gudgeons, hardy heads and zebra danios have pretty big mouths and might eat lots of the fry? Bristlenose might eat the eggs? thoughts?

White clouds are the best pond fish IMO. I would also grab a bunch of cherry shrimp culls and throw them in too.
    Whatever

There are some people in Canberra who keep rice fish in their ponds. They look to be small and hardy even in the very cold weather we have here.

You cant beat White Clouds - thrive in my Melb pond.

Out of interest, how often do you need to top up a bath tub pond? What's the capacity of it in litres? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Out of interest, how often do you need to top up a bath tub pond? What's the capacity of it in litres? thanks.
    I just fill it up with old water from water changes. The white clouds are not fussed and there is something about an outside pond that is healthier than indoors. Perhaps the natural UV sterilisation?

Thanks guys.

Yeah I just top up about 5% (if that) ever couple of weeks. I put the hose on spray to dissipate the chlorine, and because of the sun and high level of dilution, I haven’t had any issues yet.

The pond is about 800litres and covered in azolla to keep nitrates low.

Or just use rainwater.....
    Whatever