Thread: Trying to work out what this algae is on my wood items

Default Trying to work out what this algae is on my wood items

Hi guys,

Can anyone identify these black hair like items that ONLY grow in my wood.

I have these on 3 different types of wood, characterised by a small black lump with a 2-3mm black hair like growths. It has not spread onto any plants, substrate or rocks in my tank. The hairs dont get any longer than this and do not branch like Staghorn. These stay this length for months on end. Ive had this stuff on a few occasions, last time I took the opportunity when I rescaped and scrubbed it all off but now its back and ive noticed it starting up in a small super low tech planted 3L snail bowl that has no heater and is filterless in my bathroom.

Not brittle but not soft n fluffy like BBA and dont grow longer than this. If I run my finger over them they stay attached, I can scratch them off with my nail but that tends to take the surface of the wood along with it. If you take the wood out of the water they stay erect/standing.

My shrimp or Siamese Algae Eaters don't seem to do much with it and last night I hit it with H202 for the first time to see if I can kill it. Just dont know what it is.
    I posted this pic last year on the LCA facebook group but didnt really get a solid ID. The answers I got were Wood Hair, Staghorn or some kind of Fungi...

Looks interesting!

Do you have a microscope by chance? Would be cool to photograph it.

No idea what it is though I will lean towards fungal.

Getting close to stag algae

could easily be aquatic fungus. Watch for fruiting bodies

Quote Originally Posted by crypticcrpt View Post
    Getting close to stag algae
    I know what you mean, but this stuff has stayed this (single form) length for 3-4 months!

these might be the fruiting bodies! A squash on a glass slide would sort that out - under a microscope