Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two Foot Planted Shrimp Tank *Dry Start*

Quote Originally Posted by Orcustus View Post
    . Really needed a seasoned scaper's help to enlighten my understanding of aquascape.
    Haha I certainly would not call myself that.

It's definitely good to get some input from other though. Sometimes glaring stuff can't be seen by you due to personal bias. If you are new, you should just keep to simple lines, depth and rule of thirds and you will create a harmonius scape.

The problem with that tank is that the natural dimensions are not harmonius. ie not panoramic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Haha I certainly would not call myself that.

It's definitely good to get some input from other though. Sometimes glaring stuff can't be seen by you due to personal bias. If you are new, you should just keep to simple lines, depth and rule of thirds and you will create a harmonius scape.

The problem with that tank is that the natural dimensions are not harmonius. ie not panoramic.
    Could you please explain the harmonious dimension part? Are you referring to the hardscape or the tank dimension itself?

no the tank itself. The better scaper tanks have 60x35 ish (height) aspect ratio. more of a panoramic view. Long and thin(ish) if you get my drift. 120x45x45 is a perfect aspect.

I see. Thanks for explaining.

Week 7 Update:

HC grew really well and closed a lot of the gaps in the past week. At this rate I should be able to flood the tank in one week's time.

I have started pumping CO2 into the tank this week so I'm not sure if there is a correlation, though I am kicking myself for not starting CO2 sooner.

There are four patches of HC that have significantly slower growth than the rest. I think I might have had a bad batch from one of the tissue culture boxes.

Dwarf Sag is basically a weed at this stage. It is a constant battle of pulling runners from HC carpet everyday. I am seriously thinking about uprooting all the Dwarf Sag if anyone has a better recommendation for mid-ground shrimp-friendly plants.

20190212_162129.jpg
    20190212_162102.jpg

Are you pumping CO2 into tank while dry starting? Thats pretty cool but be careful because your plants will soon only have 40ppm compared to 440ppm CO2 in the atmosphere. They may protest a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Are you pumping CO2 into tank while dry starting? Thats pretty cool but be careful because your plants will soon only have 40ppm compared to 440ppm CO2 in the atmosphere. They may protest a little.
    Yikes I haven't thought about that. Maybe I will pump ten bubbles persecond at the initial period of flooding to help easing the transition? Or maybe I should let it remain dry for a little longer to have some cushioning for die backs, though my patience is running thin...

Yes having very high CO2 at the beginning is quite helpful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123