Thread: Lighting recommendation

Default Lighting recommendation

Hi guys,

I would like some recommendations for lighting. Currently using a aquaone plantglo on a 4ft and the plants aren't doing too well.

Steering clear of MML - after seeing how dodgy the wiring was on a unit my mate purchased. It literally came with quick connects and the wiring fell apart first time we opened it lol.

Considering the Chihiros RGB series if anyone has used it?

Plants will be easy to grow like mosses, monte carlo and a bunch of rheophytes

Any of the Chihiro ones are fine as long as you use them dimmed. I use the A series and have been using level 4 out of 7. The heatsink runs at 30 degrees. Recently I DIYed RGB LEDs in the middle row and now run at level 5 @ 42 degrees. Just need to make sure LEDs are kept below 50 degrees or so for longevity.

The Chihiros RGB is known to overheat so make sure you run it at 50% or so, which will be plenty bright for that tank. Where can you find the 120cm version though? I can't find it anywhere.

How good are you with DIY?

This light while not being colour tunable, looks to be a solid option also but no experience.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RGB-...7-c1ecac41ac94

You will need to get two 60cm and connect them (they are interconnectable).

I recently got a MARSaqua LED and its been awesome - similar design to the hydroponic lights so its got inbuilt fans and its super bright. Intensity only moderately adjustable i.e blue channel and then the rest. Super bright - possibly to the point of overkill. Mines now at 50%.
    Chris -my tank

Hey Chris, any pics of your tank? That MARSaqua light is a marine version so I assume you just switched off all the blues? The white channel alone looks to be quite ok for a freshwater but it would be at 50% of it's original intensity (which might just be fine). Do you think you'd need two of them for a 4 footer?

PS: Living a long way from home? I still remember all the plants I got from you when I first started....

This one is probably lying about the 5730 LEDs but if they are 5730s, that's a pretty nice light. You can just add the Chihiros style dimmer for auto sunset etc.

Yeah turned down the blue lights- not off still good PAR from blues just wanted it to look white still.
    Would probably go 2 for a 4ft 18" deep for high light. I may go 2x for my 3ft.
    That tank there is only for growing plants right now - big 3ft build coming up. Yeah not in Sydney anymore!

Edit: also fighting algae a little bit, partly the light and mostly me getting used to high TDS here
    Chris -my tank

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    Hi guys,

Steering clear of MML - after seeing how dodgy the wiring was on a unit my mate purchased. It literally came with quick connects and the wiring fell apart first time we opened it lol.
    Considering the Chihiros RGB series if anyone has used it?
    OK I just thought it was fair that I respond to the MML comment. I am super happy with mine. 120cm. Very bright. AND remains very cool. I can't recall seeing any wiring connections as they are all well concealed. I am continual having wet sleeves trimming and playing with plants. Great growth etc.

I also recently (this week) set up a Chihiros RGB 30cm. I can't comment on its plant growing ability yet but compared to the MML (70 %) it just isn't anywhere near as bright at (100%). I know one is large and other tiny. However, the MML is cool to touch and the Chihiros is extremely hot. I have moved it down to 80% to see how it reacts. Early days for me with the Chihiros. I bought the Chihiros from Aliexpress. Paid 31st Dec. It arrived 8 Jan.

+1 I am also happy with my MML light. I got the Chihiros version that MML sell.

My unit was sealed well and no wires were sticking out or anything. It really is well made and professional quality. I did make a thread about it a while back. It is still going strong

Maybe Lord of Destruction your friend received a faulty unit. I am sure Fred would have fixed everything and provided a new replacement or refund if your mate wasn't happy.

Sometimes these things happen but it's pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    +1 I am also happy with my MML light. I got the Chihiros version that MML sell.

My unit was sealed well and no wires were sticking out or anything. It really is well made and professional quality. I did make a thread about it a while back. It is still going strong

Maybe Lord of Destruction your friend received a faulty unit. I am sure Fred would have fixed everything and provided a new replacement or refund if your mate wasn't happy.

Sometimes these things happen but it's pretty rare.
    Quickconnects were used to crimp wires together, could at least do some soldering, heatshrinks or anything more professional looking at that price. Nevertheless, that is just my opinion and I will be steering clear of them entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Any of the Chihiro ones are fine as long as you use them dimmed. I use the A series and have been using level 4 out of 7. The heatsink runs at 30 degrees. Recently I DIYed RGB LEDs in the middle row and now run at level 5 @ 42 degrees. Just need to make sure LEDs are kept below 50 degrees or so for longevity.

The Chihiros RGB is known to overheat so make sure you run it at 50% or so, which will be plenty bright for that tank. Where can you find the 120cm version though? I can't find it anywhere.
    The girlfriend has been running the A series on her bookshelf tank at about level 2 and she's pretty happy about it.

I've just ordered the RGB with yesterdays ali express sale, pretty keen on testing it out! I decided to shut down the 4ft and run the 2ft again as I was having issues finding a 4ft light within budget. Can't leave the 60x45x45 club

With the standard A series = level 2 the temp is hardly above ambient...around 25 degrees.

this may be up your street. form the USA but they ship internationally, tailored for freshwater uses 3W diodes. https://sbreeflights.com/13-sbox-fre...r-plant-lights
    Althought individual fish do not cost much, do not think of fish as cheap little expendables.