Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: level

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NSW, Homebush
    Posts
    454

    Default level

    Have recently relocated my tanks to a new fish room. However, the floor is not quite level. As much as I have tried to level them now, some are slightly off kilter. Now, one reads many opinions online, ranging from "needs to be absolutely level" to "tilt forward 15 degrees to reduce sunlight shining into tank". Not so worried about small tanks but wondering about the 200l tanks so am after advice. I am after real life experiences and will only accept scaremongering if you have had bad experiences or are a structural engineer.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,904

    Default

    Do you know how many degrees off? Would be useful for the engineering types.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NSW, Homebush
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Not exactly due to lack of equipment and know how. I would guess 5-10 degrees. Expanding the topic slightly: What to people use to level their tanks?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,904

    Default

    I use my phone level app.

  5. #5

    Default

    Im an engineer and can say that the effect on the glass panels is negligible - pressure is exerted based on liquid height and 5 degrees gives you a height difference of nothing basically. On cabinets is another matter, but as long as its sturdy you'll be fine. I'd use shims or window packers under the cabinet/stand.
    Chris -my tank

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NSW, Homebush
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_c265 View Post
    Im an engineer and can say that the effect on the glass panels is negligible - pressure is exerted based on liquid height and 5 degrees gives you a height difference of nothing basically. On cabinets is another matter, but as long as its sturdy you'll be fine. I'd use shims or window packers under the cabinet/stand.
    Thanks, much appreciated and of course exactly what I wanted to hear. I will have to look up shims and window packers, never heard of these.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NSW, Homebush
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I use my phone level app.
    I meant what do people put under their cabinets to level their tanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    I will have to look up shims and window packers, never heard of these.
    I guess you need something like this - builders wedge



    - Made from high impact resistant polypropylene
    - Load bearing capacity: 4,000kg at 100% overlap, 1,800kg at 35% overlap
    - Serrated surface for non-slip performance
    - Won't rust or rot
    Last edited by Neon Tetra; 08-01-19 at 10:01 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NSW, Homebush
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neon Tetra View Post
    I guess you need something like this - builders wedge



    - Made from high impact resistant polypropylene
    - Load bearing capacity: 4,000kg at 100% overlap, 1,800kg at 35% overlap
    - Serrated surface for non-slip performance
    - Won't rust or rot
    No. I think shims is the answer. Pity I didn't know about them before, should have started the thread a month ago.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,904

    Default

    Thanks for the tips on the shims.

    I assume this is what you are talking about??
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/macsim-1...-pack_p0044302

    How does one measure these up? I assume you measure the required angle for correction and apply the correct shim size?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NSW, Homebush
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Thanks for the tips on the shims.

    I assume this is what you are talking about??
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/macsim-1...-pack_p0044302

    How does one measure these up? I assume you measure the required angle for correction and apply the correct shim size?
    you would put them under the part(s) of the cabinet that need elevating and measure with a spirit level to make sure tank is level side to side and front to back. The good thing about these appears to be that there are different sizes so you can adjust the size rather than using say 10.

  12. #12

    Default

    Yeah exactly right - use your level and put in a shim til you're happy. Technically you can measure the angle and with the length work out how large a shim you need but theres a lot of error. We use laser alignment gear to estimate our shims to .02mm and we still take a few goes.
    Chris -my tank

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,889

    Default

    I tried to use those bunnings shims under my stand with my 5ft bookshelf tank, in the end it didnt seem great to have one end of the stand hovering off the ground about 10mm or so, so now I just deal with the water line not being level, if you are on carpet you may find the shims just sink into the carpet a bit making it tricky to use them to get stands level

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •