Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 foot Cade high tech setup

Default 3 foot Cade high tech setup

Hey Guys,

I spend a lot of time on here researching, reading etc but have never really posted my journey or tanks. So i thought now would be a good time to do it. This is my second aquascape having reverted back from marine (built a house, fish monies drained quickly...)

I was fortunate enough to stumble upon an existing tank which someone was selling on gumtree with the following specs:

Cade 900 low iron tank and cabinet
    2x kessil a160we with goosemount +controller
    inline atomizer
    Eheim Pro 3E series
    Eheim classic 2217
    glass lilly pipes
    eheim UV sterilizer
    Co2 setup
    inline heater

There is obviously other misc bits and pieces which have be DIY'd.... Anyway, because it was an existing tank i was stuck with the livestock that came with it which was a broad variety included 2x discus, i have never kept discus but they are the equivalent to moody cats!

So the two pieces of driftwood came with the tank and the tank was originally low tech style plants with tons of Anubis (still for sale if anybody is interested).

I dont have progress pics but I can show you the before and after.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The tank is about 4 weeks old since transfer, one problem i did discover about ADA soil was ammonia leach. I was doing 50% water changes twice daily for a week to get the reading down from over 8ppm to 0.5ppm. I already had the fish ready to go so they had to all live in a 20 litre quarantine which was stressful to manage in itself.

Anyway here is the flora and fauna list:

Fauna:
    Whiptail Catfish
    Cardinal Tetras
    Discus
    Sterbai Cory Catfish
    Red Cherry Shrimp
    and a few other yet to be named species as I am not sure what they are called (like I said, a real mixed tank)

FLORA
    Crypt Wendtii Green
    Rotala Colorata
    Tiger Lotus Red
    Anubis Nana Petite
    Staurogyne Repen
    Ludwigia Glandulosa
    Alternanthera Reneckii
    Windelov Java Fern

So... I have two issues, firstly the lighting, It seems it may not be strong enough to bring the red out of the colorata, reneckii and glandulosa as all of the new growth is green.....???

Second dliemma i have is deciding which moss i am going to tie across all of the driftwood. Currently tossing up between weeping moss or fissiden moss or using both in different parts...
    Last edited by suparoo; 06-01-19 at 08:49 AM.

Excited to see this tank. I'm not sure if your pictures are working though they aren't showing up for me.

Yes you are correct, i selected insert image, uploaded the photo to imgur and pasted the link in once you click upload image, am I doing something wrong??...

Aren't the discus eating the shrimp?

So on imgur when you click on one of your images, on the right hand side there is a column of links. Choose BBcode and click copy, then paste onto ur forum post. You can choose different sizes too.

Cha Ching! Thank you, I spent a while last night trying to get this to work

Quote Originally Posted by sk1001 View Post
    Aren't the discus eating the shrimp?
    Nope, Honestly I cannot believe how brazen these shrimp are, I have had a dedicated shrimp tank before and they mostly dwelled around on the ground.... these guys swim around in the water column right past the discus without a care in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by steez416 View Post
    Excited to see this tank. I'm not sure if your pictures are working though they aren't showing up for me.
    Photo's are up

Looks great mate! Hard to tell with the new growth being green, it may be a lack of iron, but if you have no algae yet that's a sign that it may be light.
    Chris -my tank

Quote Originally Posted by mr_c265 View Post
    Looks great mate! Hard to tell with the new growth being green, it may be a lack of iron, but if you have no algae yet that's a sign that it may be light.
    So i have 2x Kessil 160WE Tuna sun's running the colour on 50% and the intensity is on 100% except the first hour and last hour, lights are on for 10 hours. I honestly thought these were punchy?? I doo have some BBA developing on the crypts at the back but that is the darkest part of the tank so go figure!

Love cade setups!

How close do you have your Tuna suns to the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by suparoo View Post
    Hey Guys,

I spend a lot of time on here researching, reading etc but have never really posted my journey or tanks. So i thought now would be a good time to do it. This is my second aquascape having reverted back from marine (built a house, fish monies drained quickly...)

I was fortunate enough to stumble upon an existing tank which someone was selling on gumtree with the following specs:

Cade 900 low iron tank and cabinet
    2x kessil a160we with goosemount +controller
    inline atomizer
    Eheim Pro 3E series
    Eheim classic 2217
    glass lilly pipes
    eheim UV sterilizer
    Co2 setup
    inline heater

There is obviously other misc bits and pieces which have be DIY'd.... Anyway, because it was an existing tank i was stuck with the livestock that came with it which was a broad variety included 2x discus, i have never kept discus but they are the equivalent to moody cats!

So the two pieces of driftwood came with the tank and the tank was originally low tech style plants with tons of Anubis (still for sale if anybody is interested).

I dont have progress pics but I can show you the before and after.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The tank is about 4 weeks old since transfer, one problem i did discover about ADA soil was ammonia leach. I was doing 50% water changes twice daily for a week to get the reading down from over 8ppm to 0.5ppm. I already had the fish ready to go so they had to all live in a 20 litre quarantine which was stressful to manage in itself.

Anyway here is the flora and fauna list:

Fauna:
    Whiptail Catfish
    Cardinal Tetras
    Discus
    Sterbai Cory Catfish
    Red Cherry Shrimp
    and a few other yet to be named species as I am not sure what they are called (like I said, a real mixed tank)

FLORA
    Crypt Wendtii Green
    Rotala Colorata
    Tiger Lotus Red
    Anubis Nana Petite
    Staurogyne Repen
    Ludwigia Glandulosa
    Alternanthera Reneckii
    Windelov Java Fern

So... I have two issues, firstly the lighting, It seems it may not be strong enough to bring the red out of the colorata, reneckii and glandulosa as all of the new growth is green.....???

Second dliemma i have is deciding which moss i am going to tie across all of the driftwood. Currently tossing up between weeping moss or fissiden moss or using both in different parts...
    Can I ask... is that fan up there for actually cooling down the water a little, or just for more flow on surface skimming?

Very nice looking tank

Hey, we have had some wicked heat the past week or so and the tank was creeping up to to just over 29 degrees each day. Chillers are expensive and you also need to find room to install it. So i picked up this fan from Bunnings for under $15 within an hour or so of the fan operating it went from 29.1 degrees to 27.4 degrees another hour later it was down to 26.5 so it is probably the cheapest option to cooling down a tank whilst providing surface agitation. the drawback is water loss of course

The drawback with the fan is too much can gas off the co2 in the tank, but too little will create that pearlescent film. I have an eheim surface skimmer which I have on a timer to run with the light cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    Love cade setups!

How close do you have your Tuna suns to the tank?
    I have them on the Kessil Goose necks, the lights are 28cm high from the top of tank. Is that too high?

Looks like a nice setup!

My suggestion is to be patient for a few weeks until growth is more robust before worrying about red color in particular.

Of course CO2 has be maximised in the meantime while taking into account the livestock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast