Thread: Hello - New and 40l Aquasprouts

1. Default Hello - New and 40l Aquasprouts

Hello,

New here and novice at the whole aquarium thing, kept a basic setup a number of years ago which was reasonably successful until problems developed after holidaying and having a friend maintain the tank, some tetras, bristle nose, betta, cherry shrimp. I got my wife an aquasprouts (40l tank with aquaponics bed on top) setup for Xmas so hoping it will be fun and something a little different - didn't realise how small/limiting 40l was until after, poor memory and all that.

The recommended inhabitants from the website are;

Some Neon tetras (8) and Corydoras (4-6) (pygmy)

Or

Tiger Bards (5) & Kuhli Loaches (2-4)

There were comments on one other stocking idea, though from reading the fish weren't appropriate for a 40l. I am wondering if the above are equally inappropriate or grossly overstocked?

The Bristle nose was a favourite previously however the aquaponics system leaves less for the pleco to eat and the 40l is too small anyway so moving away from that idea.

Would like to have cherry shrimp again, a couple of plants, rock/wood along with fish. Probably try a sand substrate as previously had bright rocks from memory, prefer a more natural look. No idea about plants and having trouble getting some basic ideas (seeing lists of too many to research and the names are so unfamiliar) of the easiest ones to keep in a 40l so if there is a short list somewhere a link would be handy, not sure if this will strip nutrients from the aquaponics setup as well.

Hoping to start the cycle over the coming week so will drop into a store and get needed supplies, substrate, heater, filter (heard its still best to have one) etc.

Comments or useful links on stocking, plants or similar small aquaponics setups appreciated. Hopefully can add what we decide on and how it goes.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by faintingfish View Post
    Hello,

New here and novice at the whole aquarium thing, kept a basic setup a number of years ago which was reasonably successful until problems developed after holidaying and having a friend maintain the tank, some tetras, bristle nose, betta, cherry shrimp. I got my wife an aquasprouts (40l tank with aquaponics bed on top) setup for Xmas so hoping it will be fun and something a little different - didn't realise how small/limiting 40l was until after, poor memory and all that.

The recommended inhabitants from the website are;

Some Neon tetras (8) and Corydoras (4-6) (pygmy)

Or

Tiger Bards (5) & Kuhli Loaches (2-4)

There were comments on one other stocking idea, though from reading the fish weren't appropriate for a 40l. I am wondering if the above are equally inappropriate or grossly overstocked?

The Bristle nose was a favourite previously however the aquaponics system leaves less for the pleco to eat and the 40l is too small anyway so moving away from that idea.

Would like to have cherry shrimp again, a couple of plants, rock/wood along with fish. Probably try a sand substrate as previously had bright rocks from memory, prefer a more natural look. No idea about plants and having trouble getting some basic ideas (seeing lists of too many to research and the names are so unfamiliar) of the easiest ones to keep in a 40l so if there is a short list somewhere a link would be handy, not sure if this will strip nutrients from the aquaponics setup as well.

Hoping to start the cycle over the coming week so will drop into a store and get needed supplies, substrate, heater, filter (heard its still best to have one) etc.

Comments or useful links on stocking, plants or similar small aquaponics setups appreciated. Hopefully can add what we decide on and how it goes.

cheers
    Pygmy cories are ok, kuhli loaches also if they can't escape through any openings. I don't know how the plumbing for this works but kuhlis might go up the piping and end up dried out on the garden part. Tiger barbs are unsuitable, neons I guess should be ok. Perhaps a fighting fish if it doesn't get too cold. Java fern and Java moss are easy to keep, anubias nana would also work but they will use up some of the nutrients for the garden part.

3. Default

Thanks for the feedback.

Wife isn't over keen on the corydora's and would prefer shrimp, Red Cherry, (both might be too much on the bottom I'm told) and considering the lighter load she would like a feature type fish - maybe a honey gourami.

Sparkling gourami could be a feature fish although it may snack on shrimp.

Other uncommon nano fish such as neon green, chilli, maculata etc will also be fine with shrimp.

Unfortunately the above micro fish are not really suitable for a beginner.

My suggestion is to stick with ember tetras, red cherry shrimp and perhaps some male endler guppy variants.

5. Default

Things are going a little more slowly due to been busy, finally set up and have the tank starting to cycle.

Still researching fish and getting more and more confused as information is contradictory.
    Embers do seem like a wise choice apart from the wife not been super keen on them. Galaxy Rasbora are a little harder to keep vs the embers from what I have read, wife much prefers the look.
    Unsure on the Honey Gourami as some information says 40L is fine and could even keep a pair in that space which might make them happier. Aqadvisor seems to think there is capacity for 2 Honey gourami's and a school or Galaxy's or Embers, I realise it isn't gospel. Sparkling Gourami would be interesting, more sites seem to think they need to school with ~4-5 than with the Honey Gourami however.

Thinking of starting with some Embers/Galaxy's (or similar) and let things settle a bit before deciding.

6. Default

I ended up with 10 galaxy's and 2 honey gourami's.

looking to add some red cherry or ninja shrimp once I'm sure everything has settled.