Thread: Panda's 603018

Default Panda's 603018

Hi all,

I am setting up a new tank, and am looking for something a little different.

My previous set ups have included a low-tech 30 x 30 as my first foray into planted tanks, followed by a 3ft for a number of years (with a lot of help from those on the forum!). Due to buying a house and moving a fair distance and then renovating, I went to a all-in-one AquaOne Aquazone 25 to house my surviving plants (lots and lots of bolbotis, needle leaf java fern and java moss) and shrimp until everything calmed down. After 12 months in the new house, here we are. Will be setting this up over the next few months.

Set Up

Tank: ADA Cube Garden 60-F (W60D30H18), 32 litres
    External Canister Filter: SICCE Whale 120 or Space Eko 100
    Light: Leaning towards a MML pendant, but open to suggestions
    Heater: TBC
    Subtrate: Soil

Playing around with a few ideas for the hardscape. Will obviously be playing off the tanks limited height of 18cm and a generous 60cm length giving it the bookshelf look.

Have the tank sorted, just need to get the filter, light etc. And of course pick the the hardscape, plants and stock I'm thinking to keep it low tech... torn on whether going with some soil or sticking with just fine gravel.

Definitely not putting java moss in the new tank - unsure whether the bolbotis or needle leaf java fern will make it into the new tank or be re-homed. We have A HEAP of indoor pot plants around the house, so hopefully will bounce off them all.
    Last edited by Panda; 27-12-18 at 10:41 AM.

Good plan although the listed plants may well be too large for that sized tank.

For the light, there are many options and the chihiros WRGB is a very interesting IMHO. Unfortunately the commander unit is apparently quite buggy so you will need to use commander 1 and just use to dim it rather than colour tune it.

Also there is the Twinstar which looks very sleek and is pretty much the standard to colour rendition (apart from ADA solar RGB)
    https://aquaforestaquarium.com/colle...ble-leg-design

Untested but this one looks to be very good as well.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RGB-...d-892487c4d81e

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Good plan although the listed plants may well be too large for that sized tank.

For the light, there are many options and the chihiros WRGB is a very interesting IMHO. Unfortunately the commander unit is apparently quite buggy so you will need to use commander 1 and just use to dim it rather than colour tune it.

Also there is the Twinstar which looks very sleek and is pretty much the standard to colour rendition (apart from ADA solar RGB)
    https://aquaforestaquarium.com/colle...ble-leg-design

Untested but this one looks to be very good as well.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RGB-...d-892487c4d81e
    Agree with bolbotis and needle lead maybe being too big. Looking to play around with getting some stuff that will grow or flower above the water line, or attach to driftwood right on the surface too.

The twinstar is a good shout for a light. Will look into it. Likely to be a fair bit cheaper than two MML pendants.

Try mini java, small buce, maybe a bit of HM for background....

I've decided I will go with a soil... Don't want to restrict myself just with gravel.

Been playing around with some plant lists and am looking at similar to the following:
    Cryptocoryne parva
    Dwarf Hairgrass
    Staurogyne repens
    Micro Swords
    Ludwigia
    Rotala
    Sunset Hygro
    Buce
    Anubias nana Petite
    Bolbitis - Just because I have some
    Christmas Moss
    Pennywort
    Narrow Leaf Java Fern

I have not looked into some emersed stuff that will grow up above the water level, so that's my next task before settling on a final list.
    Last edited by Panda; 27-12-18 at 11:23 AM.

Out of what you have chosen, rotala, penny wort and ludwigia can easily grow emersed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Out of what you have chosen, rotala, penny wort and ludwigia can easily grow emersed.
    Great, thanks Rebel. Do you have any suggestions for anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Great, thanks Rebel. Do you have any suggestions for anything else?
    Almost all your plants (don't bother with bolbitis, buce or anubias) will grow emersed btw just depends on your scape. For most of them, you will need somewhere for them to root/cling high up near the surface - rocks, wood or soil.
    MC also grows very nicely when emersed.