Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is BGA ALWAYS linked to low nitrates?

@happyfins, Fascinating about the hardness observation!

Kris, do you measure your TDS, gH etc? Do you normally use GH up?

I am curious why your plant growth improved when using bore water. You must be Calcium deficient? Make sure you have enough Calcium and Mg for the plants. Not sure about the cyano however.

You can see the complexity of the cyano issue by having a look at these.
    ftp://ftp.sccwrp.org/pub/download/DO...bacteria-1.pdf

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...7.2012.02866.x

If you have anyone else in the area with tanks, you can compare notes etc also.

Whoa, that that first article was full on... Hundreds of pages...

No Iíve never measured TDS. I donít own a tds meter (just ordered one online though along with powdered chemiclean and a 55w UV for my goldfish ponds. I never use any gh booster. The bore water (and tap water for those in town) is very hard 16 degrees hardness or thereabouts, kh also very high. Due in large part to the fact that Vanuatu is a volcanic archipelago which is geologically relatively young and the whole island is basically a coral atol - with only a few minor pockets of volcanic rock.... Ph around 8.3. Definitely not calcium deficiency - I spend half my life cleaning calcium buildup out of shower heads and tap filters.
    Last edited by Kris; 18-12-18 at 08:28 AM.

I see. Still can be Mg deficient in that case. Make sure you add Mg (for plants).

re article. It just goes to show how complex the area of algae tend to be. Cyano in aquariums have not been studied formally AFAIK.

UV could help IMO because there is a free swimming stage of it, according to all the articles.....

Blue green algae will grow in soft or hard water. In Perth we have very soft water (GH less than 50ppm) and a pH above 8.0. We get BGA in that. We also get it in rivers that are 100% rainwater based and have no limestone to buffer the pH or GH. It also grows in brackish rivers that have a lot of mineral content and some salt.

Water hardness (mineral content) doesn't make any difference to where it grows.

-------------------
    There is a possibility something has contaminated your water supply. If the tank was running fine for a couple of years without any issues and then the BGA suddenly appeared, maybe there is excess nutrients in the water supply that never use to be there.

Perhaps check the water supply for everything you can and see if it has changed.

-------------------
    I doubt UV radiation will affect BGA because it is spreading across the tank and other surfaces. For it to be affected by a UV steriliser you would need it to be floating around the water and pumped through the UV unit.

BGA is a photosynthetic bacteria that has been around for millions of years. It can live in dark conditions and feed off nutrients, or it can photosynthesise and get nutrients like a plant does. Once it gets going it produces a slime over it that protects it from the external conditions and even if you remove the slime, there is usually a few bacteria left behind to regrow. This makes it harder to get rid of than most other things.
    Last edited by Colin_T; 18-12-18 at 10:10 AM.

My gardener getting his armpits wet removing as much BGA as he can before water change day tomorrow:
    Untitled by krisrusset, on Flickr

A closer look at things:
    Untitled by krisrusset, on Flickr

I have some Chemiclean and a tds meter on the way, and am going to experiment with reintroducing some rainwater to see if that affects growth rates... I'll keep you posted...

Thanks for the pics man!

Any closeups of the plant growth. I think we can improve that...

My feeling that there is low flow in the lowest areas of the tank?

LOL, gotta love the picture of the tank being cleaned. Step ladder to get onto a table to clean the tank. Either a really short person or a pretty big tank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12