Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: First foray into planted tank 60*45*45

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    no planaria wont kill snails, may knock out a few but in my experience, has never wiped out all the snails.
    It did wipe out all snails for me, and I didn't even use the recommended dose it was a bit of a shame because they didn't bother me tho. I also got an ammonia spike as a result, so be careful with that.
    I bought it from eBay with no issues at all.

Noticed a white wriggly thing in the tank. Think it's mosquito larvae or something of that sort. Bought a packet of no planaria from the UK so will dose that when it arrives.

Have noticed some of the foreground plants are struggling a bit. Blyxa looks shredded to fibre, other stem plants seem to be rotting but I'll give it time. Hygro kompakt and one of the tall background plants (think it might be LUDWIGIA ARCUATA X REPENS) are probably doing the best

Ugh, snails have got to go. Trap not overly effective, no planaria on the way...

Still some plants recovering from melt. They look all floppy and translucent, fingers crossed they bounce back

You could try very high co2 to rid the snails while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    You could try very high co2 to rid the snails while you can.
    Good idea. Might try that for a day - the population seems to be growing but I do already notice some are pretty slow and basically vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    no planaria wont kill snails, may knock out a few but in my experience, has never wiped out all the snails.
    My experience was the opposite- knocked them all out!

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    My experience was the opposite- knocked them all out!
    From what I've researched it depends on the type of snails. Pond snails, which is what I appear to have will succumb to no planaria. I've also researched more about gassing with co2 (some people even used soda water as a much cheaper and more dramatic way to gas the snails), however didn't seem to work.

I have no planaria on order from pro shrimp in the UK, so until that arrives I'll keep having to use my manual snail trap

Thought it would be also good to check in and report back on how the plants are going.

Day 1:

Day 16:

Took me a while to figure out what was what, some plants are quite similar.

Hygro kompakt: Growing very well, lots of new growth (midground left, next to driftwood)
    Hygro lancea: Growing very slowly. Some melt, but flowers (?) still there (not yet opened) (midground left and right)
    S repens: Growing, but slowly. Has been attacked by snails (foreground left)
    S Porto Velho: Growing, but slowly. (foreground right)
    Anubias emerald heart: Growing, but probably too close to the light. Getting algae growth. Hoping java fern will grow out soon and provide shade (attached to left driftwood)
    Echinodorus rose: Growing slowly, showing signs of nutrient deficiency - yellow and brown leaves, unsure whether to cut back yet (background centre)
    Hygro pinnatifida: Growing slow - doesn't have much light in it's current location, have propagated one runner and have planted somewhere else. (background left)
    Limnophila repens mini: Some melt, but growing slowly (front right)
    Ludwigia arcuata x repens: Another one that has grown quick. Almost to the water's surface
    Persicaria so sao Paolo: growing crazy has already got to the surface (mid/background right)
    Anubias Nana 3cm: growing with new leaves opening, but some yellow leaves (attached to driftwood)
    Java moss: It's moss
    Hygro corymbosa: Also growing well with lots of new growth (back right corner near lily pipes)
    Alternanthera reineckii: Some new shoots but a lot of the old leaves have turned to mush (left midground)
    Limnophila mini Vietnam: Growing but slowly (one on the left in front of the driftwood, some on the front right)
    Blyxa Japonica: Heavy melt, leaves basically shredded but a little bit of new growth so hopefully it will come back with a vengeance (left midground)
    Java fern (needle, trident, normal): growing quickly as expected (attached to driftwood)

Quote Originally Posted by sk1001 View Post
    From what I've researched it depends on the type of snails. Pond snails, which is what I appear to have will succumb to no planaria. I've also researched more about gassing with co2 (some people even used soda water as a much cheaper and more dramatic way to gas the snails), however didn't seem to work.

I have no planaria on order from pro shrimp in the UK, so until that arrives I'll keep having to use my manual snail trap

Yep, mine were pond snails too - same as yours by the looks of it. I ended up having to dose a bit more than suggested, and finally on the third attempt all snails gone... about 4 months later and not a snail in sight.

Good luck!

Do you remember what exactly your dosing regime was? I've no livestock at the moment so now is my chance to get it right.

My only concern is plants and I've read it may reset the cycle currently in progress

Noticed some deadspots in the surface agitation so rotated my Lily pipe 90 degrees so that it now runs along the short side of the tank. I've seen remarkable growth in 24 hours of the plants that are getting more co2 as a result of the change. I honestly think the tall stem plants have grown an inch in 24 hours. Leaves are more red too. I remember watching one of Dennis Wong's videos on YouTube where he said there was a correlation between co2 being in actual physical contact with plants as opposed to just being dissolved in the water. I think that I'm on board with that theory now.

I will be turning the Lily pipe back and forth between the long and short side every week or so now. I'm going to run a second filter to address the deadspots.

Plant growth is big at the moment. Admittedly when I first planted I didn't think it though too much so I've got tall stem plants in the mid and front and mid height plants in the back. I will chop the tops soon and rearrange accordingly.

Pictures coming soon

You have unlocked a flow secret.

You may know that in the ADA gallery, they lift the lily pipes every night to improve and change surface agitation and flow. I suspect they direct the flow direction as well.

George Farmer also admitted (after I quizzed him) that he changes the direction of outflows in his large tank regularly.

Flow needs to evolve with the growth and phase of your tank, just like all the other parameters.

Day 25:

Ludwigia arcuata x repens and Persicaria sp Sao Paolo have now breached the surface and are growing emersed

Alternanthera reineckii has started to grow since changing output flow direction (previously they wouldn't have got much direct co2 as they would have been shielded by the driftwood).

Blyxa japonica starting to come back after melting away massively.

Found a little bit of Hydrocotyle tripartita floating around (must have been mixed in with my plant order) so planted it at the front and we'll see if it carpets

S. repens and S. porto velho starting to send out runners. Once mature enough I will chop and replant to try and get a carpet going.

Some algae growth (string, black beard) is present not too worried at the moment though. I have stopped dosing ferts until after no planaria arrives and I bomb the tank to get rid of the pond snails.

I will be putting the second lily pipe set in the back left corner pointing forward to start. This will create 2 circular flows that oppose each other and meet at the middle front of the tank. As both filters are ehiems with quick disconnects, this will also allow me to change which side the inline co2 diffuser is attached to.

No planaria has arrived. On day 2 of dosing but I still see mobile pond snails. Will see how that plays out.

Second filter is running, but still having issues with surface scum (lily pipe surface skimmer ordered).

And of course algae. All over the glass and hair algae all over the plants. Will change in 2 more days after the 3 day dosing plan for no planaria.

They dont call em pests for nothing....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast