Thread: Pygmy Cory Breeding Conditions

Question Pygmy Cory Breeding Conditions

Hi everyone,

I had some success in Autumn (April and May) with breeding my small troop of pygmy corys however i was not 100% prepared for hatching the eggs and once i got that good and going i was not ready for feeding the fry. After much failure i had a small fungus outbreak in my tank and lost 2 of the corys. Since then I have had no breeding at all (just when i got prepared with vinegar eels) and was just wondering if they have a temperature requirement or a minimum size group requirement etc? I am hoping i wasn't just lucky to start with and that i can get them breeding again.

Thanks,

Well done what does your tank set up look like.
    Just keep swimming, just keep swimming

For general care, keep them in a group of 8 or more. Feed them well on a variety of dry, live and frozen (but defrosted) foods, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each week, and keep the temperature between 18-30C, (preferably at the lower end 18-26C).

---------------------
    To encourage them to breed have the temperature around 24C or slightly above. If you set their heater to about 18-20C for winter, they will usually start breeding when the temperature reaches 24C in spring. A lot of fish like a cool period (a couple of degrees cooler for a month or more) and breed when the temperature increases.

Do a 75% water change & gravel clean each day for a couple of weeks using dechlorinated water. If the new water is a couple of degrees cooler that combined with the large daily water changes can simulate rainfall in the wild.

Have lots of plants in the tank.

Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.