Thread: Dan's Paludarium

Default Dan's Paludarium

Hi all,

Multi-year absence from this forum but I've just had a go at setting up a paludarium so thought I should share a couple of photos. Has been up and running for a month or so.

Land bit is all planted. Fair few of these plants will outgrow the tank but I think it should be good for a year or two until I can switch some stuff out.

Still gotta fill in the water bit. Got some trident javas on the way from Rebel which will be a good start. Probably some anubias nana petite for the front?

Any ideas on some other nice plants that could go in there?

Many tannins at the moment but I kinda like it.

I've got 15 harlequin rasboras which will probably be it for livestock along with some shrimp.

Plumbed my canister filter to drip on the back wall (apart from the land section) which I'll eventually replace with some black PVC. Also got a mister which spritzes the wood and land section every 2 hours.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Mil0023; 06-11-18 at 11:22 AM.

Gotta love a nice paludarium! My dream is to make one and stock it with b. macrostoma :P
    I'd be looking at adding heaps of moss

Hey man welcome!

I didn't realise you got the ferns for this tank. It might be too much ferns tbh!! Maybe you will need to raise the water level. You will find an anubis and some moss in the package also. If I knew you were doing emersed stuff, I would have included some other random emersed stuff I have hanging about.....

Rebel thanks! Looking forward to them arriving! I've got a bit of a drip wall going with some java ferns doing pretty well so I'm hoping to put most of them up there got another little tank which I could definitely use an excuse to set up for some extra plants too hehe

DDM definitely want some more moss! I've just ordered some extra spray nozzles to wet the wood in the front, any species suggestions? So far I've got peacock and Java.

With emersed moss, you can pretty much just go to a river/creek etc and collect moss from the shaded areas. There are so many liverworts like mini pelia that grow in Melbourne. I saw so many varieties in a recent visit.

Collect and try em. Submersed mosses would need to be re-adapted etc and probably not worth the bother!

I think there might be native bolbitis like ferns as well. I am getting an idea for a moss wall at home....perhaps next to a planned pond....

Came here to delete the spammers post - thankful I did. Beautiful paludarium mate, great setup and will look amazing fully grown in. Good idea with the filter and the misters, its going to go great!

Thanks for the feedback! Will definitely have to go on a little moss hunt soon. Got my ferns from Rebel (thanks!) and they're in now, probably too many for the tank but it looks real lush so I'm happy with it. Bit hard to see in the photos but here is how it looks now.