Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 120x50x50 Planted - Genesis

Default 120x50x50 Planted - Genesis

Hi guys!

So, I've finally ordered the tank and the cabinet, expecting it to arrive late november. Below are the current spec for now, as you can see it's still quite incomplete, so this post is really more a placeholder than anything else.

Tank Dimension: 120x50x50
    Heater: Aqua One 300W
    CO2: Yes (cheap basic one)
    Substrate: some soil (brand undecided, most likely amazonia)
    Driftwood: yes
    Lighting: looking at this one: https://makemyled.com/1-x-120cm-trip...mml-fwp3b-120/
    Filter: Most likely Fluval306

Scaping preferences:
    This tank will be positioned in my living room as a divider of some sort between the living room and the dining, which means I'd like to be able to scape in such a way that looking at them from different side offers different experiences. Also, while this plant will definitely be planted, the focus won't be the plants themselves, but the livestocks. So how they will interact with the plants.

At the moment I'm thinking solid driftwood with some long branches, and the other side would be ambulia 'garden'. we'll see.

Planting plans:
    At the moment, the following have been in my list, but very very open to ideas:
    Ambulia
    Crypt Wendtii
    Dwarf Hairgrass
    Corkscrew Val
    Anubias
    Some Moss
    Erio

Livestock plans:
    This will be a tropical community tank, so the following are in my considerations:
    Shrimps (Algae / Cherry)
    Nerite Snails
    Cardinal Tetra
    Forktail Blue Eyes
    Harlequin Rasbora
    Cories

I'm currently setting up a 120 x 60 x 60, your equipment and plans are great and I look forward to seeing the progress

Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    I'm currently setting up a 120 x 60 x 60, your equipment and plans are great and I look forward to seeing the progress
    All the best to the both of us! and I'm definitely lurking around your thread to grab some inspirations!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    All the best to the both of us! and I'm definitely lurking around your thread to grab some inspirations!
    I think a similar style to mine would be awesome as a divider, except the island would need to be a lot thinner and lower laying.
    A good selection of Driftwood could really create this for you.

I have a huge piece from my old 4ft tank which could be used to really amp up your idea with some nice seiryu or river stone, though Im not sure of your location and postage would probably cost a fortune.

god now im thinking about it... the wall side would be neat if it had quite a decent slope down with rocks and driftwood protruding from the decent.

god now im thinking about it... the wall side would be neat if it had quite a decent slope down with rocks and driftwood protruding from the decent.
    This is pretty much what I'm going for. Good luck to me then!

I think I know which driftwood you're thinking about. It's certainly close to what I imagine, but don't worry about it. It'll be part of my delight to look around myself

I plan to have 2 slopes on both sides of the tank, actually. the garden will probably have a bit of a slope as well.

Looks like a good plan.

For large tanks, you need to carefully consider how you dissolve your CO2 and distribute it.

Avoid large carpets or very fast growing plants in the long term. Your back will thank you for it. Ambulia is not a bad idea for the start though but you will probably get sick of trimming when it starts to grow fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Looks like a good plan.

For large tanks, you need to carefully consider how you dissolve your CO2 and distribute it.

Avoid large carpets or very fast growing plants in the long term. Your back will thank you for it. Ambulia is not a bad idea for the start though but you will probably get sick of trimming when it starts to grow fast.
    Thanks Rebel. would 2.6kg kegking be big enough to last a while for this tank you reckon?

As for ambulia, I'm well aware. If there's an alternative that grows slower but produce similar effect I'm open to suggestions.

It depends on injection rate. For a big tank like that I would say it would last about 3 months if you were going for 30ppm of CO2. Mine lasts only about 6 months (5 bubbles per sec) for 4 hours/day on my 2 footer but I inject high rates into my reactor.

Hey man, BOC gas do a $79 a year deal for 2 6kg bottles of co2.
    I just signed up and am pumping 6bps into my reactor for my 4x2x2.
    slowly raising it a smidgen each day until I find a sweet spot.

12kg of co2 should be more than enough for my size tank so for yours would be the same.

12kg of co2 should be more than enough for my size tank so for yours would be the same.
    I'll look into that, thanks bro!

Great deal and thanks for alerting us!!

Out of interest, do you have a measurement for the cylinder height? Would it fit easily in one of our standard cabinets?

And just to clarify - we're using the 'food grade' one right? :P

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    And just to clarify - we're using the 'food grade' one right? :P
    Yes best to do that.

Just received a call. the cabinet is ready to be delivered. Next Monday, I'll have a new furniture in my house

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast