Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 120x50x50 Planted - Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    Hmm I have never considered the wavemaker... but 3000 is quite a big gap to fill from 1150. Any recommendations? Also, as mentioned before, this tank won't be too heavily planted, but I do know fishes and them get more lively with good flow so I am keen to go above the bare minimum.

Also, having issues uploading to photobuckets at the moment. where do you guys upload your photos these days?
    i have a 5500lph wavemaker ontop of my 1400lph canister lol. I just dont see the filter sucking up enough shit though.
    but being planted, I guess as long as my sand doesnt get dirty too quickly, I can clean and maintain the rest.

I wouldnt recommend a 5500lph wavemaker though, as flow is too big. arouind the 3000lph wavemaker would be perfect alongside a 1400lph filter. you could probably get away with lighter though

Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    i have a 5500lph wavemaker ontop of my 1400lph canister lol. I just dont see the filter sucking up enough shit though.
    but being planted, I guess as long as my sand doesnt get dirty too quickly, I can clean and maintain the rest.

I wouldnt recommend a 5500lph wavemaker though, as flow is too big. arouind the 3000lph wavemaker would be perfect alongside a 1400lph filter. you could probably get away with lighter though
    I was kinda looking at this one, any feedback?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Hydor-Kora.../dp/B0036S70ZG

That pump is highly regarded due to small size and packing a punch. You could hide this pump in the background etc compared to other monster wave makers.

MAybe you can sign up for prime (one month trial) for free shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    That pump is highly regarded due to small size and packing a punch. You could hide this pump in the background etc compared to other monster wave makers.

MAybe you can sign up for prime (one month trial) for free shipping?
    I think I already used up that one month trial earlier this year. wonder if I could do that again :P

Is it me or that also looks cheaper than other wavemakers?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    I think I already used up that one month trial earlier this year. wonder if I could do that again :P

Is it me or that also looks cheaper than other wavemakers?
    Looks fine to me, I would change mine to a smaller one, though i'm conflicted as I paid like $90 for mine and dont want to fork out more on a newer one (wont get much return on the current one)

To reduce the output of the big one, wrap some black mesh on the intake side. This might reduce fresh shrimp bites being fed to the fish as well.

No pictures today, but just a bit of an update:

I ended up buying the eheim 2217 for a filter on top of a 2000l surface skimmer. The lights ordered from MML has also arrived. This means the only major thing left is the scaping. That will be the fun over the next few weeks

Quick question - what material / tips do you guys usually use to create some sort of an invisible divider between substrates/sections? e.g. soil and sand?

Thin (1-2mm) clear plastic acrylic works well, tho soil will still move at the top surface level, the acrylic walls help more like a retaining wall.

Been busy over the past few days...

Below are the pictures of the dry hardscape. Actually the plants and water have been filled yesterday but I haven't had the time to take the pictures. Besides, they still look pretty bad. Hopefully I do get to in the next few days.

Also, when I do finally get the pictures with the plants up... please don't be shocked when you see some attempts of monte carlo and dwarf hairgrass... That was my wife's doing despite my warnings, so I figured the easiest way was to put them in anyway and see it die. Well, if they grow fine, then lucky us. anyway I've moved the lightings to the foreground so they receive as much lights as they can, so they at least have a fighting chance. Working on getting the co2 setup in the next week or two.

Plants list for those interested:
    Anubias Nana
    Crypts
    Amazon Swords
    Java fern (Thor's Hammer)
    Christmas Moss
    Corkscrew Val
    Normal Val(I think)
    Erio(or looks like one, I think the LFS said a different name but I can't seem to find the name)

EDIT: Oh, and my wife still likes the idea of the 'Ambulia Garden', except she doesn't like the looks of the ambulias, so I'll need to find a new plant for that. Any ideas?

Last edited by TheCasualist; 31-12-18 at 07:46 AM.

Some pictures from yesterday, after water change:

the water has cleared up, ammonia still at 0.5ppm.

Anyone has suggestions on what to plant along the branches of the driftwood?

I would go with Fissiden.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyAdo View Post
    Can you recommend anything that will thrive in a discus tank, i.e. temps up to 30 degrees Celsius?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyAdo View Post
    Phoenix moss, right? that's on my list of things to consider too.

another question: what do people use as prefilter for eheim 2217? I had bad experience ordering a dodgy steel mesh for a prefilter (that doesn't even fit eheim 2217 -_-), but I don't really see them in lfs.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast