Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 120x50x50 Planted - Genesis

Hows the BGA responding to the Chemiclean clone?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hows the BGA responding to the Chemiclean clone?
    I'd say it's doing pretty well, the only question now is whether it manages to eradicate everything in time, since I only bought enough for one-time medication >.< it's almost completely gone from the hairgrass though as I've been helping with that. Given how bad the infestation was I'm happy with the effort so far. Actually, I wonder if that was part of the reason why the shrimps are now starting to come to that area as well... maybe they weren't eating the algaes there because they were mixed with BGA.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    I'd say it's doing pretty well, the only question now is whether it manages to eradicate everything in time, since I only bought enough for one-time medication >.< it's almost completely gone from the hairgrass though as I've been helping with that. Given how bad the infestation was I'm happy with the effort so far. Actually, I wonder if that was part of the reason why the shrimps are now starting to come to that area as well... maybe they weren't eating the algaes there because they were mixed with BGA.
    I've seen a couple of episodes where a repeat treatment was required but weeks down the track. It can return if nitrates are low but even that takes several months.

Squirt your usual ferts (with nitrates in them) on it if possible with filters off. Some occasional peroxide will also help.

I've seen a couple of episodes where a repeat treatment was required but weeks down the track. It can return if nitrates are low but even that takes several months.

Squirt your usual ferts (with nitrates in them) on it if possible with filters off. Some occasional peroxide will also help.
    it's what I plan to do, squirting the ferts.

I plan to clean my filter this weekend, and then the CO2 atomiser. How often do you guys generally clean your external filter?

Just when I thought I have no more questions... New Plants suggestions time!

there are 2 different places I want to put plants in:
    1. That cave at the edge of the aquarium with the hairgrass isn't having the effect I was going for; it only looks messy, an eyesore compared to the hairgrass, and absolutely no one is using it as cover. so I plan to remove it, and the idea is to put one plant there. Ideally I'm thinking something with broad leaves with colour of either dark green, brown or red.
    2. Around where the driftwood is, on the other side of the monte carlo, I'm thinking of adding more plants to fill in the soil. I'd like it to be a low-lighting, ideally slow-growing foreground plant that won't ever be bigger than the blyxa.

Any ideas?

Small Update:

As you can see below, there are still algae around the tank. the good news is that it's pretty much contained to specific places. Once again, apologies for the quality of the picture, I tried using a better camera but I've resigned to the fact that I'll probably better off asking my friend to come over and take a better picture, next time.

As for changes to the tank, the BGA has pretty much disappeared from the surface, though there are some tiny amount of it under the substrate. But since I added the extra pump to circulate water faster it hasn't grown so I'm happy enough with that.

On the plants end, I've had to trim the Blyxa, the Mosses and Swords, and the Vals. The corkscrew kept putting runners on too.

Current inhabitants:

7 guppies
    Approximately 25 cardinals, and 10 golden cardinals (I say approximate because that's how many I bought, but pretty sure some died and got eaten by the shrimps before I managed to spot them...)
    4 SAEs
    NQ Algae Shrimps
    Red Cherry Shrimps
    Pest Snails
    1 MTS

Future Potential Stocks:
    5-10 Otos
    More Shrimps
    if I'm too chicken for Otos, then Corys.

Simple stuff

So, a miracle happened for the last 3 weeks...

all hair algae completely disappeared, and I haven't had to clean the glass for over 2 weeks, it's still clean (do plan to clean them next water change though). BGA hasn't come back, so the only algae that's still there now is the BBA which kinda overruns half the tank. gonna have to start the spot dose treatment soon...

The only other thing to report is that the plants are now looking very healthy, so I'm going to have to trim them soon. I'm guessing no one's interested in plant cuttings from aquarium infested with snails and BBA though, right?

current inhabitants:
    6 guppies
    35 Cardinal Tetra
    20 Ember Tetra
    6 Peppered Corys
    1 SAE
    assorted chameleon, Qld Algae and Red Cherry Shrimps.

Ah the stages of the planted aquariums .... You are living it!

Isnt it a nice feeling to find that sweet balance and have everything running smoothly. Not easy to get sometimes and every tank is different

As you have found out, The MML lights pack a punch and its easy to overdo it with intensity and duration. Cutting back to that sweet spot is required and in your case especially as the lights are so close to the water surface.
    As an example i'm running the pro-panel at 35-40% for 5 hours and algae is now under control - was horrendous at 75% at preset daylength options.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticcrpt View Post
    As you have found out, The MML lights pack a punch and its easy to overdo it with intensity and duration. Cutting back to that sweet spot is required and in your case especially as the lights are so close to the water surface.
    As an example i'm running the pro-panel at 35-40% for 5 hours and algae is now under control - was horrendous at 75% at preset daylength options.
    I'm currently on 6 hours, 15%! Really does pack lotsa punch!

It's just the way I want it though, gives me leeway to get more adventurous later down the track, maybe.

@Rebel, just a bit of an update:

been using your ferts for the last few weeks with the dosage you recommended, shooting it directly to the areas infested with BBA.

So far the plant growth have been good, and the places where I shot directly the BBA's slowly turning red, which I think is a sign it's dying. That is to say, so far so good.

And so ends my update for today

Love it! Hopefully you beat the scurge that is BBA! Clean that filter every 3 weeks and lightly vaccuum the sub.

Love it! Hopefully you beat the scurge that is BBA! Clean that filter every 3 weeks and lightly vaccuum the sub.
    I'll try! honestly, I'd probably do the clean this weekend and then not until it warms up a bit.

Anyway, my photos doesn't get any better, but just thought I'd share whatever I got right now:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789