Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 136

Thread: 120x50x50 Planted - Genesis

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    If you are in Sydney, check out Fishrock aquarium in willoughby. They have cardinals for a good price and if you buy 50 (or 75), I am sure Eric will give you a good deal.

    I've kept cardinals and they hid at the back most of the time but only had 10. They roam in shoals of 10000s in the wild so maybe a larger shoal may be better.

    Rummynose are way more active than cardinals but less colourful.
    Unfortunately I'm in melbourne :P

    Would 50 really fit in my tank anyway? how much water change am I gonna have to do each week? hahaha

    speaking of melbourne, are there any melburnians who can attest whether the tap water is really soft here? when I did a ph test last week after I did a water change it was beyond 7 but last night it's dropped below 6 I think? guessing I might need some crushed corals somewhere down the line...

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,910

    Default

    I thought 50 would be good in your tank.

    I normally do 50% weekly as per general planted tank guidelines.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I thought 50 would be good in your tank.

    I normally do 50% weekly as per general planted tank guidelines.
    I thought 20-30% a week is sufficient?

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    Unfortunately I'm in melbourne :P

    Would 50 really fit in my tank anyway? how much water change am I gonna have to do each week? hahaha

    speaking of melbourne, are there any melburnians who can attest whether the tap water is really soft here? when I did a ph test last week after I did a water change it was beyond 7 but last night it's dropped below 6 I think? guessing I might need some crushed corals somewhere down the line...
    I can absolutely attest to this. My tap water is pH 7, GH <3, KH non existent.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    I can absolutely attest to this. My tap water is pH 7, GH <3, KH non existent.
    yep, that's pretty much it. do you use anything to buffer the ph (increase hardness)?

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    yep, that's pretty much it. do you use anything to buffer the ph (increase hardness)?
    Nope. But I did set the tank up with ADA Amazonia substrate which is meant to "buffer" the water to low KH and pH of around 6.5. With no KH, I can tell you in the year that I've had the tank set up, pH drooped to 5.9 0nce. Added crushed coral but removed a month later. Been running the tank as is with no buffers at all and the pH is always between 6.2 and max's out to 6.7 sometimes after a huge water change.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    Nope. But I did set the tank up with ADA Amazonia substrate which is meant to "buffer" the water to low KH and pH of around 6.5. With no KH, I can tell you in the year that I've had the tank set up, pH drooped to 5.9 0nce. Added crushed coral but removed a month later. Been running the tank as is with no buffers at all and the pH is always between 6.2 and max's out to 6.7 sometimes after a huge water change.
    Phew, I'm using the same so that's some sort of relief I guess, thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'll just keep the tank cycling until it matures and then we'll see if I need to add some crushed corals. Wouldn't hurt to stock them up anyway.

    also thinking in the future of replacing eheim's stock spray bar with a lily pipe and position it below next to my MCs, they seem to have the most concentration of algae there.

    Off to tasmania tomorrow for a week, so last night I did a water change, practiced on cleaning my canister filter and killed as many bladder snails I could find. also filled the replacement water higher than usual. fingers crossed things don't get out of hand when I get back :P

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NSW, Homebush
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    got it, I might go with cardinals then... thing with them is I haven't really seen them being very active, that's why I'm considering another group that might be. no idea what that is at this moment as well though :P

    I might change the gourami idea with a few forktail blue eyes...
    In my opinion you can never go wrong with white clouds: cheap, active, attractive, breedable and the juveniles look as good as any neon. definitely more interesting than schooling tetras. Besides, tetras have never lasted long for me. Whenever I buy a group they almost all die off within a year, usually one hangs on for another 2 years after that strangely enough.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NSW, Homebush
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    ugh, crap. I wanted a different colour in the tank to contrast some greens, but now I'm not so keen... speaking of the neons, are cardinals any better these days?

    by the way personal preference: do you guys prefer 1 huge school of fish, or 2 decently sized ones?
    Depends on size of tank as to whether 1 or 2 schools. What colour are you looking at introducing: yellow or orange?

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,889

    Default

    I vote one big school of fish, a 4ft tank can fit a lot of small fish, go really small (rasbora's or boraras) and put like 100 in... or go reasonably small and choose white clouds and put 50 in.

    Either way probably dont put all 100 or 50 fish in at once, introduce them in batches.

    White clouds are my fav fish I have ever kept, they are not scared of anything, and they school / soal together pretty well, hardy as hell and can even breed with any much intervention. Also they are cheap so buying 50 of these guys will probably only set you back 100 bucks. Also you can get colour variations, yellow and I think more red, but the standard white clouds also look good!
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 18-01-19 at 05:20 PM.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra
    Posts
    403

    Default

    I popped 30 Harelquin Rasoboras in my 4x2x2

    Just need to get the right photo of them when theyre swimming in the open

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Thanks for all the suggestion guys!

    Just got back from the holiday today with a 29 degrees tank, lots of algae on the fissidens, monte carlos and the mosses, and crushed about 7 snails... which is way less than I expected to see, with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and tiny bit of nitrates. in other words, not all that bad. looks like it's ready for a couple of fish. first order of tomorrow though, is to look for lily pipes and gather up the courage to cut the out pipes for an inline co2 atomiser and shoot the monte carlo directly with the pipes.

    for tonight, cleaned up the algae a bit, did water change, and scaled back the lighting a bit, I suspect it may be on for a little too long.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    first order of tomorrow though, is to look for lily pipes and gather up the courage to cut the out pipes for an inline co2 atomiser and shoot the monte carlo directly with the pipes.
    One thing I really recommend when installing lily pipes and inline atomisers is the use of quick release double taps (ISTA double taps are pretty cheap and work well), they will save you so much time when cleaning, I normally position some taps about half way before the lily pipes so I can disconnect the section of hose with glass lily pipes attached for cleaning without having to fully remove the filter or disconnect the pipes fully from the filter, like wise you can leave the pipes in place if you only need to clean the filter, trust me you dont want to be trying to pull the lily pipes out of the hose while connected to the filter or near you tank. If you have loads of room around the tank perhaps you can get away without double taps, personally I think they are a must have.

    I would position the inline atomizer before the double tap (as close to the filter as possible)
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 28-01-19 at 06:28 PM.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    One thing I really recommend when installing lily pipes and inline atomisers is the use of quick release double taps (ISTA double taps are pretty cheap and work well), they will save you so much time when cleaning, I normally position some taps about half way before the lily pipes so I can disconnect the section of hose with glass lily pipes attached for cleaning without having to fully remove the filter or disconnect the pipes fully from the filter, like wise you can leave the pipes in place if you only need to clean the filter, trust me you dont want to be trying to pull the lily pipes out of the hose while connected to the filter or near you tank. If you have loads of room around the tank perhaps you can get away without double taps, personally I think they are a must have.

    I would position the inline atomizer before the double tap (as close to the filter as possible)
    If it's what I'm thinking about, eheim 2217 comes with double taps for both the inflow and outflow. the outflow one I put rather close to the filter, and I actually ended up putting the inline atomizer just after the double tap, just because that's where I saw it in the video, and I saw this comment too late :P. But yes, the double tap is a necessity for canister filter I think. I practiced cleaning the filter once and it made it so much easier to just disconnect the inflow and outflow pipes. now I'm thinking another double tap after the atomizer isn't a bad idea. That said, I'm not sure I'm completely happy with the flow of the lily pipes still... guess it's now a trial and error thing.

    3 guppies are now in for 2 days and seem ok, and I have found out I've got all kinds of snails: pond, bladder and MTS. Fun. Getting kinda anxious for the next water change, hoping it won't kill the fish. I've been using tap water direct using the conditioner but I think I'll use buckets this time. better safe than sorry.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    I have found out I've got all kinds of snails: pond, bladder and MTS.
    If you have MTS, it's unlikely that you can get rid of em. One strategy is to lower the kH and keep it at 0. This may keep them at bay but the mini ramshorns still survive in those conditions. MTS can and will evade many snail eaters.

    If you are serious about snail eradication, you may need to consider freshwater puffers.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •