Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 120x50x50 Planted - Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    Can you recommend anything that will thrive in a discus tank, i.e. temps up to 30 degrees Celsius?
    Java ferns and Amazon swords will be fine.

dropped by LFS over the weekend, bought bolbitis, fissidens, more blyxa and rotalas, planted them, and swear not to buy any more plants in the near future...

Also, thought I'd ask out of curiosity: in your experiences, is it better to introduce the fishes first, or shrimps & snails first? or it doesn't matter at all? the fishes types are the peaceful neons, otos, guppies etc. The only one I'm still 50-50 on is the honey dwarf gourami.

Which type of snails? Usually the pest type snails are bullet proof and can be introduced first. Shrimp should be last when the system is stabilised and fully cycled past 3 months.

Guppies first, neons next and otos last.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Which type of snails? Usually the pest type snails are bullet proof and can be introduced first. Shrimp should be last when the system is stabilised and fully cycled past 3 months.

Guppies first, neons next and otos last.
    nerites. I'm guessing they'll be around the same time of the shrimps?

the pest snails are already in my tank hahaha. and so have some copepods.

With nerites, there are some reports of them being a bit more sensitive. I would be a bit more careful. They can also lie there for days after being put into a tank which may alarm you. I paid $25 for mine and that may also make one cautious.

With nerites, there are some reports of them being a bit more sensitive. I would be a bit more careful. They can also lie there for days after being put into a tank which may alarm you. I paid $25 for mine and that may also make one cautious.
    haha yeah I'm aware of that. I'm just looking for some interesting ground-dwellers since from what I read cories aren't very good with soil and gravels. what else is there? kuhli loach?

Not sure on cories etc. Khuli loach could disrupt plants by digging I am not sure.

I recently found my nerite about 3 meters from the tank on the floor. Picked him off and chucked in the tank. Now it's one month later and he is still doing well!!!

Not sure on cories etc. Khuli loach could disrupt plants by digging I am not sure.

I recently found my nerite about 3 meters from the tank on the floor. Picked him off and chucked in the tank. Now it's one month later and he is still doing well!!!
    Maybe I should just plan to get more otos...

lol the nerites sound like a blast

Well only because he is one of my favourite tank occupants.... Since then he hasn't escaped though I continue to fill to the brim.

I've always been worried that my vaccuum cleaner may eat it up during the day.....

If you can afford otos, 8 would like great (and they school beautifully!) in your tank size! I feed mine with Mulberry leaves which it shares with the shrimp.

It's been a long time since I've kept cories but I love khuli's and always have a group. Best to keep at least 5 of them. If you provide a couple of small hollows they will choose one to huddle together in and will dig very little.

If you can afford otos, 8 would like great (and they school beautifully!) in your tank size! I feed mine with Mulberry leaves which it shares with the shrimp.
    yeah I planned to only have around 3 but if there aren't any other bottom dwellers I'm happy with more otos.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakes View Post
    It's been a long time since I've kept cories but I love khuli's and always have a group. Best to keep at least 5 of them. If you provide a couple of small hollows they will choose one to huddle together in and will dig very little.
    Oakes, what's the substrate you have with? if they dig won't they also prefer sand?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    Oakes, what's the substrate you have with? if they dig won't they also prefer sand?
    I have fine soft silica sand which would be ideal for them to burrow in to. But they don't do it much. Probably because there's no reason for them to, I have provided little caves for them and they seem to enjoy their own company huddling together. Also I keep them well fed and there's no food in the substrate, the sand is too fine to trap food particles and I don't have any burrowing snails like MTS. I don't think they can eat adult snails but they will eat tiny baby ones.
    Last edited by Oakes; 15-01-19 at 06:35 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast