Thread: How to post shrimp?

Default How to post shrimp?

Hello everyone,

My blue bolts have been breeding well so it's a great opportunity to sell off some.

Just wondering how you guys go about posting shrimp?

Also how do you guys prefer to ship fish?

Much thanks!

You pack shrimp in the same way you pack fish, a small amount of water in a plastic bag, fill it with oxygen and seal it up with a rubber band. Put that bag inside another bag and seal that up. Put the bag in an esky. Put scrunched up newspaper or some plastic bags filled with air around the shrimp bag to stop it rolling about. Seal the esky up and send it off via express courier.

It's a good idea to do a few water changes in the week before sending them. This makes the water cleaner and they travel better.

Do not feed them for 24 hours before sending them. This allows most of the food to be digested and expelled from their gut and there won't be as much poop in the bag when they are shipped. Less poop in the bag means cleaner water for longer with less ammonia to kill them.

I like to use plastics bottles and wrap them in some bubble wrap. Lipton Iced tea bottles work well as they have a wide mouth.

Breather bags are another great option and are quite cheap now days.

Make sure you throw in a bit of moss or similar for the shrimp to hold onto.
    Whatever

You guys are helpful as always!

Where's the best place to get the small styrofoam boxes and the breather bags?
    Also is express auspost ideal? Or do you guys prefer other companies

Look up Kordon breather bags, styrofoam boxes I think they can fit into the 500g express ship bags.

You can get breather bags pretty cheap on Ebay. I cannot vouch for the quality though.

My wife works at a large chemist so I always make sure I have a few styro boxes on hand.
    Whatever

Aren't the breather bags the plastic bags that have to be completely full of water?
    If yes, they weigh heaps and the courier company will charge you a fortune for shipping them. You are better off using a normal fish bag and have 1/4 water and 3/4 air.

Most pet shops have spare polystyrene eskies you can buy for a couple of dollars.

If you are only shipping a couple of bags of shrimp, you can use a cardboard box and line it with polystyrene foam.

We use to use Courier Australia but any delivery company will do as long as it is guaranteed delivery within 24 hours. Don't send fish or shrimp out on a Friday because if something goes wrong they could spend the weekend at the depo and be dead on delivery the following week. Try to send them early in the week (Monday to Wednesday).

You don't have to completely fill the bag. You just leave the air out.

Just use express post satchels unless they are very valuable shrimp.

All things being equal shrimp will be fine for up to a week.

Always ship them on a Monday or Tuesday only and if there is a heat wave expected maybe wait til it has passed.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyAdo View Post
    You don't have to completely fill the bag. You just leave the air out.

Just use express post satchels unless they are very valuable shrimp.

All things being equal shrimp will be fine for up to a week.

Always ship them on a Monday or Tuesday only and if there is a heat wave expected maybe wait til it has passed.
    Concurred!!

Only ship on Monday.

Heat can be a big danger with the summer coming up. Insulate the package well!

For every expensive shrimp, there is a Auspost diamond or some other express type....look into that.