Thread: DIY Cheap powerful lights

Thumbs Up DIY Cheap powerful lights

Hi all,

Thought I would share my cheapskate version.

Sorry about my hand the light does something to my phone where it makes black lines. It must be the lens on my phone or something.

All up it cost me about $50

The lights are $30 for 2 30w floods from eBay.

The rest is made up of 2 bracket $11

Some metal plates $2 something

And just SS bolts about $5 worth.

It works a treat and is super bright

Don't mind the mess to the right
    Just keep swimming, just keep swimming

Looks like a nice piece of DIY.

Do you know the temperature of the heatsinks after the lights have been on for 8 hours?

What's the dimensions of the tank?

Hi Rebel,

I don't know the exact temp but I can still handle them after they have been on all day with it simply a little warm.

It's a 30 cube essentially.

There are much bigger brackets to suit different height tanks.

I also use the floods on my rack with a different set up.
    It's a bit of slotted angle with some arms to be able to support the lights but they can manoeuver where you need and you can add more or less if you need to.

Sounds good to me. Generally if you can handle them it tends to be below 45 C. Some of those Ebay floods have had issues with reliability and I would like to see how you go.

For smaller tanks, I find that Chihiros A series is economical, dimmable and very powerful.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chihiros-A-...-/141878713671

I assume they are LEDs?

Stress from both tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning one tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly. After an hour or so turn the other light on.

At night turn one tank light off, wait an hour and then turn the room light on, and then turn the second tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Hey mate.
    I have my lights on the daylight cycle. So on at 8 and off at 5 the room is fully lit by normal day light.

For the picture I closed every thing to reduce glare.

I appreciate what your saying that's why on other tanks I use a sunrise sunset function