Thread: Chihiros A-series stockists in Sydney (120cm)

Default Chihiros A-series stockists in Sydney (120cm)

Hi guys

After some research for a replacement LED lighting system for my 4-footer, I think I've settled on a Chihiros A-series (A1201) for my freshwater planted tank.

However, I'm struggling to find some stockists in Sydney to check them out. I've reached out to hinterfeld whom I understood were the current distributors and they replied today to say they were clearing stock (with no A1201 left) and no longer carrying that brand moving forward.

Any help appreciated.

Hey dude.

Did you email Hinterfeld Australia or Hinterfeld.com?

I checked Hinterfeld Australia and they don't have the standard A-series anymore. I remember there was manufacturing issues with the larger A1201 model which is why it was always delayed.

I also checked Hinterfeld.com website and their Australia warehouse section has disappeared for some reason. I remember seeing the lights there. Maybe try contacting them directly. Even though they are located in China/Hong Kong they would send via the Oz warehouse.

Hopefully other people can help locate retailers in Australia if there were any because i am unsure if these were available in store.

Thanks Monty - I contacted hinterfeld AU through their website.

I recall checking out the HK (hinterfeld.com) site a few weeks back when I started looking, and at that time they had the 40% warehouse clearance sale for the A-series plus. Am kicking myself now for not jumping on it then, but I wasn't too sure of my choices back then. I think most of the stuff on the HK site is missing mainly because of the current warehouse clearance.

On a side note, if I placed 2 60cm's side by side, would there be any major downsides compared to a single 120cm unit? I would have assumed output would be similar, except there are 2 cords and switches to deal with.

They do still have 40% off sale. Maybe email them and ask if the A1201 is still available for Australian customers?

If all else fails then you can just run two of the 60cm Chihiros. It shouldn't be a problem. But as you say you will need to deal with an extra cord. Switches shouldn't be an issue as you can somehow run them onto the same timer.

So if you can't get the 120cm then try and get two 60cm with the current 40% sale if it's still available.

Edit. I forgot you can't buy from Hinterfeld because the Oz warehouse is not available. Still try and contact them and see if it is available. If not then try buying off eBay. That's what i did for my 45cm Chihiros light (A451). You have to wait for delivery but it came eventually even with an AU plug.
    Last edited by Monty1089; 24-10-18 at 08:23 PM.

I think Chihiros are phasing them out to encourage people to buy the RGB ($270), RGBW ($400) and the new ADA RGB style lights (I think these are really expensive around $800).

Hmm that A series plus 4 footer is about $250 and RGB is $270. Think about the RGB as it's got really good (but the best) colour rendition for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I think Chihiros are phasing them out to encourage people to buy the RGB ($270), RGBW ($400) and the new ADA RGB style lights (I think these are really expensive around $800).
    They are kidding themselves if they expect people to fork out that much money for these new lights given the original chihiros were so cheap!

Aliexpress as you mentioned is also a good place to buy the Chihiros. I found the 120cm light there:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chih...c-661cfbc171c6

Also this one via eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chihiros...frcectupt=true

So you can still get these from overseas but you will pay full price for it. Aliexpress has new user coupons and eBay has 5% off site wide and the usual 10% off site wide sales every now and then. But first try and ask Hinterfeld.com. If it's a no go then look around.

I bought 2 of the standard 60cm lights for my cube and they are bright AF. I have them down to below half way !!!

Great little lights though they do warm up if you are driving them full speed....
    Whatever

I ordered a 1201 from hinterfield a couple of months ago and they sent me a 1201 plus at the price of the 1201 so it would seem they ran out of stock a while ago.

Can you install these LED lights inside of a hood - or do they run too hot?

Im running an old Aqua One 120 (4 foot tank) and it has flouros that 2 of the either holders or transformers have failed - Im loathed to repair them and would rather replace with LED - however I do like a hood on my tank...