Thread: Tank base foam

Default Tank base foam

Have been having trouble trying to find the thin black foam for use under tanks (eg ADA garden mat), all my local shops as well as a bunch of the usual online shops have all been out of stock for the past few weeks. Just seeing if some knows a shop with one in stock in 60x45cms? Or even a foam retailer that sells it?

I buy stuff from clark rubber, its not exactly cheap, about $15 or more a mtr, cant remember the exact price, I think its about 6mm thick and very dense, you will see it.

Those yoga mats from kmart and stuff also work similar to the clark rubber stuff
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

I used two layers of those springy packaging foam but it was a little difficult to get it neat but was ok for my small tank 60/45.

I know people who have used the yoga mat stuff even in large tanks up to 4 feet.

What is black foam?

most people use normal white polystyrene foam under aquariums.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin_T View Post
    What is black foam?

most people use normal white polystyrene foam under aquariums.
    Ya man, it's the good stuff. Nothing is better than ADA.

https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/p...nt=40424576839

The yoga mats totally work, but I've never had one looking good. The clark rubber stuff isn't bad - but a bit thick.
    Chris -my tank

I have been using the black foam mats from bunnings.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/polytuf-...-pack_p4490382
    The whole idea of an under tank mat is to evenly distribute the weight on the stand so there is no one point of stress. These mats do a great job of compressing in the pinch points and staying expanded for the rest of the area.
    Even under my 6 footer, with over 500gk of weight, they do a great job.
    For about $12 they are hard to beat.

I am currently using a Chihiros garden mat. It does the job. However if i was in need of another one i would skip it. Not that there is anything wrong with it but it is expensive.

There are far more economical options out there that do pretty much the same thing like the yoga mats. Dirt cheap and seem to work well for most folks.