Thread: What do you feed royal whiptails

Default What do you feed royal whiptails

Due to circumstances beyond my control i just inherrited all my brothers tanks and catfish,the l numbers i got under control but i got 9 adult whips and approximately 30 to 40 juviniles

Mr google isnt helping ,some say the adults are vegetarian othwrs say omnivores and the only thing i can work out is juviniles eat algae if they can find the food
    Someone heeeeelllllllpppppp me please

Whiptail catfish are a type of suckermouth catfish that naturally grazes on algae and driftwood. They will also eat dead fish if one happens to come across it.

In an aquarium they should be fed a variety of foods ranging from dry food like Algae Wafers and bottom feeding pellets (available from pet shops), to various fruit n veg like pumpkin, zucchini, cucumber, apple, banana, etc. Remove the uneaten food after a couple of hours.
    Do not feed them any potatoe, onion or onion relatives (spring onion, shallot, leeks, garlic) because these can cause problems.

They should have a piece of driftwood in the tank at all times. The catfish will graze on the driftwood and it helps their digestion.

If you can encourage algae to grow on the glass (by leaving the lights on for a bit longer), they will graze on that too.

If a plant leaf breaks off and sinks to the bottom the fish will chew that up as well so you don't have to remove broken plant leaves straight away.

I know someone who places glass in a bucket of tank water leaves it out side and every couple day swaps out the glass place the bucket in full sun if you can the fry will love you for it!
    Now once they a little bit bigger pm me I want to buy some!
    Thank you
    Last edited by foti; 17-10-18 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Or now if they are ready !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by foti View Post
    I know someone who places glass in a bucket of tank water leaves it out side and every couple day swaps out the glass place the bucket in full sun if you can the fry will love you for it!
    Clever idea!!

Some people uses gel type food e.g. repashy and coat them on driftwood/rocks, etc. Drop them in and let the fry/juvies feast.

I have never bred the royals myself but I have bred LG6 whiptails. They are not too fussy with food and are omnivorous so I grew them out using algae wafers, NLS pellets, and heaps of driftwood (biofilm) as well as some cucumber etc. I grew them out with my peppermint bristlenose fry that I also breed myself.