Thread: Lighting upgrade recommendations please

Default Lighting upgrade recommendations please

Hi all,

It's a been a while since I last posted here, so please be gentle

My rainbow tank suffered a major disease or virus outbreak a few months ago and I lost everything bar a bristlenose and 2 SAE's. 6 Cato, 6 UKR and 5 Utchee Creeks all gone

I've stripped the tank and filter right down, and have only just started re-building it. New gravel has gone in and I'm beginning to shape how I want the landscape. I've got some plants growing in a tub with river sand outside, and they will be transplanted once I fill the tank and begin cycling it.

But the one part that I'm way out of touch, is lighting. I've got a single T8 fitting that I've had for probably 20 years....it had a new tube put in it before the disease outbreak killed all my fish. But I'm looking to grow some plants, with the option of upgrading to a CO2 system at some stage in the future, and the single T8 had very limited success with any plants I had.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want quality with flexibility (i.e. for the option of growing more demanding plants with CO2, ferts etc).

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Nigel

Hiya Nigel, what size is your tank and will it have a hood vs open topped?

Seriously, you think I woulda been smart enough to include that info the first time!

120cm x 36cm x 45cm high

I'm thinking of perhaps ditching the hood.

Chihiros A series should be more than enough.

Cheers Rebel, I'll scour fleabay for one

The four footers may be hard to come by. If so, consider two two footers but you will end up with two power cords unless you are very good with DIY 12V electrics.

Some people who only need a lower level of light with less coverage at the ends are happy with a a 3 footer over a 4 foot tank.