Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lava re-Scape - 60x45x45

Lol far from competition level but I'll take the kind words! Good idea about crushing lava rocks but tbh it doesn't really bother me that much anymore with that algae growing in, like Doyle mentioned. So yeah, I'll give it a few more time and see how it develops

Outstanding, simply stunning and the level of detail in this scape it un real.
    I would spend so long just staring into this scape and the hours would just disappear.

Id have to agree that it is competition level. I loved seeing this scape in person, it truly is phenomenal.

A couple of (2 that I see which look to be a male and female) red cherry shrimp turned up in my cube, I assume from that bit of Java fern you gave me, they are juveniles

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFellow View Post
    Outstanding, simply stunning and the level of detail in this scape it un real.
    I would spend so long just staring into this scape and the hours would just disappear.
    Thanks! I barely watch tv anymore, that's for sure

Id have to agree that it is competition level. I loved seeing this scape in person, it truly is phenomenal.
    A couple of (2 that I see which look to be a male and female) red cherry shrimp turned up in my cube, I assume from that bit of Java fern you gave me, they are juveniles
    Thanks mate, come back anytime, last time was too cloudy haha Enjoy those shrimps! they will love it there!

I think I might copy your design for my next project with my 2 footer. Thusly I would like to ask for side views... :P

I am going to leave this one here by Dennis Wong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_da7Z0oqF4

When I see Dennis's scape, I am reminded on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I think I might copy your design for my next project with my 2 footer. Thusly I would like to ask for side views... :P
    Quick crap side pictures, light in my house is pretty bad so I've got reflections everywhere... apologies in advance hah

RIGHT SIDE - on this side I keep the heater and inflow, so I couldn't top it up or cover it with rocks. I took advantage of that and added a coconut cave for the apistos and added some ferns in there. Some fish use that space to chill at a times (especially the ember I had by himself...since I brought the other 10..he doesn't want to hang out with the others lol go figure..).

There is some soil at the bottom in pantyhose to elevate the hardscape a bit but not much. There is also a large piece of driftwood (not seen in the picture) that mostly comes out from the front but it helps support some rocks too.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bJEL6Z]
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2bJEteH]

LEFT SIDE - on this side there's a lot more soil also in pantyhose, and recently I've added more loose soil (fluval stratum), mainly because I'm trying to lower KH, and GH a bit more, so far is not working tho, might need to add more or move on haha The 'pyramid'/triangle formation helps positioning the rocks, they're just sitting on top of it with minimal risk of falling. This way of stacking rocks and soil provides refuge for all shrimps, pygmy cories and the apistos love exploring the multiple 'natural' caves

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bJEGqT]
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2bJECWZ]
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Pn8khZ]

Downside is, the more skittish fish would love it too much...haha I just saw this guy yesterday for the first time since pretty much when I added him. Good to know he's doing well!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2d8ecEM]

Dennis Wong has definitely been an inspiration, that's why I'm dying to get my hands in some C.parva haha look at that tank! love it
    I wish I could've had more time and an empty canvas to create something better, the details on his tank are spectacular.

What pleco is that? I am trying to hunt some down and that looks like what I'm after. Are they available in Sydney atm?

Quote Originally Posted by hengeli View Post
    What pleco is that? I am trying to hunt some down and that looks like what I'm after. Are they available in Sydney atm?
    It's an L270 - chocolate zebra. They're 'common' I believe, I'll send you a pm with the name of the shop I got him from.

I owe you some pictures, plant growth has been pretty good, the monte carlo carpet is going nuts in inert substrate...LOD's plants! hehe It needs a major trim at the front.

While I mentally prepare myself to take some pictures...I leave you here with a video of the king and queen of this tank, my pair of trifasciata...first spawn in the new scape. Unfortunately the eggs disappeared overnight...

Last edited by DDM; 08-12-18 at 03:49 PM.

amazing.
    got a perfect match. no one's getting homicidal!
    love the fin extensions.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Thanks for posting the side views!

Those fish look so beautiful!!! Lovely finnage on the male?

Thanks guys, yes, the red fins one is the male

I've taken some pics today, the tank need some trimming:

Notice how thick the montecarlo has become at the front, and how it's finding its way to the back trough the path.

This picture as a bonus, testing different camera settings, this one turned out quite nice in my opinion, the crazy light flickering I had to battle gave the pic some nice shadows. Also great timing with the male apisto flaring..

Other than that, I think I'm going to try find some LED stripes to put at the back, it would make the tank look heaps different, right now looks too dark. What do you guys think?

absolute amazing mate!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast