Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Random Collection of Ideas

Default A Random Collection of Ideas

After selling off every last bit of gear a few years ago, randomly had the urge to start a tank again. Starting from scratch makes it fairly easy to put together exactly what you want, but as I’m finding that freedom brings with it significant indecision.

I’ll be using a an Aqua One Horizon 50 tank (50x29x29cm), it’s a pretty decent cheap tank as it uses minimal clear silicone. Picked it up off gumtree with some other gear which I onsold leaving me with just this tank and a net profit of $15. Score.

Not much in the way of decent aquariums in Newcastle, but was lucky enough to find a reasonable piece of wood on clearance at PetBarn, down from $82 to $38. A score also.....I guess.

Continuing the cost conscious theme I wanted to spend as little as possible on the stand, but tried to avoid having something ugly like a simple pine ‘rack’ type stand. Managed to piece together enough scrap wood I had laying around with some reclaimed from another project and a bit of 18mm ply from a pallet.

It’s a constant frustration I don’t have the space to store decent tools at the moment, but with the basics you can get by.

The aim of the game with this one is simplicity.

The entire cost of this stand lies in these T-Nuts that will be used to attach the light stand to the back. Total outlay, $2.

The fun bit after tedious measuring and cutting. Pocket holes mean the entire thing comes together in about 10min from this point.

Nearly had it exactly right, but a tiny bit of planing with the tiny plane was needed. This also happens to be the best value tool I’ve ever picked up. Bought it in an emergency for a single job and was less than $5, but it works much better than it realistically should.

And just like that it’s done.

Next item on the cards is the lighting stand. I’ll pick up the steel for that later this week. Maybe. If I feel motivated.
    Last edited by crf529; 12-10-18 at 01:40 PM.

Wow with DIY skills like that, I expected you to make the tank yourself!

For a very fancy (but untested or unreviewed) light, look no further.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chih...5-2d2b70c0370f

I did explore all the Chihiros offerings rather extensively, in an attempt to keep the whole setup as a cost conscious build. However lighting wound up being where I diverged significantly from that ‘cheap’ concept, and why it’s now more a ‘random’ collection of concepts.

Given they run led’s with such wide angle lenses, they were incompatible with my desire to have a light suspended 20-40cm above the tank with minimal light spillage. This is a key criteria for me, and sacrificing this to save a few dollars would’ve ruined the whole experience.

I looked into the Kessil pendants, but not having a square tank ruled that out. So I finally committed to a MML panel, which wasn’t ‘cheap’ but at the same time also wasn’t expensive. Plus it’s an Aussie company so there was no reason not to. Hoping that will turn up on my door in the next week or two.
    Last edited by crf529; 18-09-18 at 09:22 AM.

Ah nice thinking! What type of lenses did you go with? I've heard that for 40cm above the tank (ie 85cm above bottom of tank), people suggest 90 degree lenses. Never used them though.

Note that the link above is for the newest WRGB completely colour adjustable Chihiros.

From what I read the original RGB panels from them also ran quite hot, not sure if they’ve also addresssd that. Nonetheless, the cost for the Chihiros stuff plus a cheap ramp timer isn’t that much less than MML, which should be better quality and has a much better auto timer interface.

I wound up with 45 degree lenses, mainly because they seemed the best option for this tank, as well as an ADA 60 which I will likely upgrade to eventually.

Very nice. Very keen to see your setup eventually. I am also a fan of potentially hanging lights high but don't like glare in my eyes. [ Too fussy ]

How it’s sitting for now.

Still undecided on what combination of paint and/or stain I will use.

Last edited by crf529; 12-10-18 at 01:42 PM.

Looking good so far.
    I love cheapie tools that work out( tiny hand plane)

Ordered a 2213 as an easy out for filtration, and picked up some steel. Now it’s home I regret going 25mm, I thought it would be an appropriate size, but it’s heavier looking in context than I wanted. Can’t be bothered changing it for this setup, so I’ll aim to zap it together at some point this weekend.

Also picked up some flat bar and 5/16 nuts on a whim to make plates to take leveling feet, but not sure if I’ll be bothered yet.

Last edited by crf529; 12-10-18 at 01:42 PM.

Looking good. I'm in Newcastle too and feel you on the lack of decent aquariums. Syd seems to be spoiled for choice.

What's the square metal thing? a light stand? [ Looks like a Bunnings click it ]

It’s 25x25x2mm painted RHS steel. In a few welds time it will be a light stand so I can run my LED panel suspended.

Ah yes, agree that it looks thicker compared to the rest of the setup. Maybe paint it a light colour to blend it in.

Nice work building the stand, some SS tube, or smaller RHS would perhaps look a bit nicer against the small tank

Will you be wrapping the stand? I vote for dark stain but you will need to decide depending on the whole look of the room though. Paint the inside yellow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast