Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live food cultures

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    I am after a Grindal worm starter culture, can anyone help, can pick up in Perth or pay for it to be sent over.
    I owe you a favour
    Will send you a pm

Graeme
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I owe you a favour
    Will send you a pm

Graeme
    Thanks Graeme, champion!

Last time I was in aquotix and asked about cultures they only had micro worms, which I brought and have been going well since, but some larger worms would be good

Hi there!
    Sorry to Hijack this thread but I wonder if I could ask some advice in regards to feeding these cultures to my fish. On gumtree, there are 2 people that are selling these cultures locally and I wonder which would be the best for me to attempt as a first timer. I have 4 medium sized pearl gourami's, 2 mollies, 1 bristlenose and 7 rummynose Tetra's to feed. I'm a little nervous about these cultures, but I assume like everything else in the aquarium game, that it will be easy once I've had a go.
    Right so these are the ones that I can pick up locally without a problem. Which would you go with first?

Daphina starter $20
    Microworm starter culture $10 from one and $5 from the second seller.
    Vinegar Eel starter culture $10
    White worms $10

Thanks so much!

Hey kangasaris, welcome to the forum
    What's exactly worrying you? difficulty? I'd personally start with either microworms or vinegar eels:

1) Microworms - very easy to maintain and keep, although involve a bit of care every week (starting new culture, cleaning, etc). But nothing major
    Here's a link that explains everything perfectly: https://sites.google.com/view/killie...ome/microworms

2) Vinegar eels - these things are super hardy. Care is close to 0 haha, you just need to mix apple cider vinegar and dechlorinated water in a 50/50 ratio and...that's about it haha I've been away for 6 weeks and they stayed alive...absolutely nothing happened to them! Just keep in mind eels are tiiiiiiiny, it's fry food, your fish won't even see it hah so you might not needed.

For daphnia you need a bit more equipment and time, but I've heard it's not hard either (I've never tried myself). I just got a culture of whiteworms and don't look too hard either (so far so good) but I've read things about cultures crashing all of a sudden and the whiteworms are not something to feed to often, etc. So that's why I haven't tried them before. I reckon you could be good to start with the 2 above and see how you go You don't have tricky fish that need life food everyday so those should be enough.

See my post #12 on page 1, for how to culture daphnia.

$20 is a blanking ripoff for a daphnia starter culture. Call a few petshops and ask if they have any live daphnia and buy a bag for a couple of dollars. Use that as the starter culture.

If you can't find any at pet shops, go to a local lake and drag a fine mesh net around the water. Put the contents of the net in a bucket of water and take it home to use as a starter culture. Allow the daphnia to grow in the culture for a few weeks and then take some of the young and put them in a new culture. Let them grow for a bit and produce young and take those young and start a new culture. Then allow that culture to grow and use it for fish food. The other cultures can be allowed to grow and die and let the water evaporate. Allow the mud in the bottom to dry out for several months then refill the container with green water and a week later you will have a new culture going.

Daphnia are generally cool water but there are tropical species and if you can find some locally they should be fine for half the year. When it gets too hot they die off and you let the water evaporate and wait till it cools down before refilling the container.

Quote Originally Posted by kangasaris View Post
    Daphina starter $20
    Microworm starter culture $10 from one and $5 from the second seller.
    Vinegar Eel starter culture $10
    White worms $10

Thanks so much!
    Moina which is a relative of daphnia is more suited for our Brisbane climate. My culture isn't thriving at the moment else I would have been happy to share with you. I'll be keen to try culture daphnia if I can find a started culture.

I can give you vinegar eels and microworms starter cultures for free.

Perhaps start with VEs and MWs first and see how you go.

Pick up from Birkdale. Send me a PM if keen.

Whoops I didn't get any emails to say that someone had responded to this thread (how do I do that by the way?). Thank you all very much for the replies.
    I might give the lake at the entertainment centre a try next time hubby takes the boys. I see a person is also selling Black worm starter cultures locally too, has anyone had success with them, should I stay clear of those for a bit.

Lastly, recommended feeding? A teaspoon once or twice a week and do I give them dry food with it or will they become too fat, my gourami's are pigs and I have to watch what I feed them as they seem to get pregnant belly syndrome ALOT. Luckily they like peas!!

Cheers

I'll happily buy some from you and any tips and advice you've got Thanks! I"ll pm you now. @jc12

Thanks for your input Colin_T! Very informative.

Happyfins gave me a grindal worm culture, the CPDs are spawning daily now!

No luck with infusoria, tried culturing twice for 3 week periods. One with brocoli and some moss and tank water. The other with spinach and filter squeezing. Nothing

Would anyone in NSW happen have vinegar eels or daphnia?

Lod, whats parameters your CPDs kept at?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Lod, whats parameters your CPDs kept at?
    GH 6, kH 0-1, tds 120-150, temps 21-23.

I have them in my taiwan bee tank so parameters are always around there - a bookshelf with ~20cm compartment divided with a rectangular piece of sponge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    GH 6, kH 0-1, tds 120-150, temps 21-23.

I have them in my taiwan bee tank so parameters are always around there - a bookshelf with ~20cm compartment divided with a rectangular piece of sponge.
    Sweet man. Thanks!!

Would anyone in NSW happen have vinegar eels or daphnia?
    I've got Vinegar Eels and paramecium(infusoria) for you mate. Shoot me a PM
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

No luck with infusoria, tried culturing twice for 3 week periods. One with brocoli and some moss and tank water. The other with spinach and filter squeezing. Nothing
    Try my recipe and instructions from post 12.

Use a plastic storage container that holds at least 40 litres of water. Fill the container with dechlorinated tap water.

Add 1 whole lettuce (the complete lettuce including outer leaves) for every 20 litres of water. Rinse the leaves well and break, cut or crush the lettuce up so it breaks down faster.

Put an airstone in the container and have it bubbling away at a reasonable rate.

Cover the container to reduce the smell and stop water evaporating and insects getting in, and leave it to grow.

---------------
    During the first couple of weeks, the lettuce leaves break down and produce bacteria. A few weeks after that the infusoria (normally paramecium) appear and eat the bacteria. When this happens the water will go from cloudy and then start to clear. However, the water will still have a yellow tinge from the tannins that were released from the leaves.

You can check the culture for infusoria by removing the airstone for a few minutes and allowing the rotting leaves to settle on the bottom. Once the leaves have settled to the bottom, you should be able to see tiny little white dots/ specks moving about in groups. These are the infusoria.

If the water smells bad, then it is not ready and is still full of bacteria and does not have many (or any) infusoria in and you need to leave it longer. But you should have infusoria within a month.

Once you have the culture going, you add a couple of lettuce leaves each day to produce more bacteria, which feed the paramecium.

----------------------
    If you need fry food, boil an egg for 10 minutes. Take the white part off and eat it. Push the yellow yolk through a handkerchief into a small container of clean water. Put a lid on the container and shake it up, and then pour some of the liquid into the fry containers. Do this several times throughout the day and keep the remaining egg yolk solution in the fridge when not being used. Boil another egg and make a new mixture each day.

Make sure the fry tank is aerated and filtered or do water changes to keep the ammonia levels down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12