Thread: DIY Peltier cooler

Default DIY Peltier cooler

Hi AL,

I've been working on this Peltier design for my Fluval edge.

In case you didn't know about the Peltier effect:

Some requirements were:
    1. Very small
    2. Not require water to leave the tank
    3. Quiet
    4. Ability to keep temperature at 21 (room gets up to 25)
    5. Not cause excessive evaporation

Not required
    1. Energy efficiency (You can't expect energy efficiency with Peltier coolers)

Therefore, I decided to attach a peltier unit to the side of the 'Edge' Filter. Proof of concept is still ongoing. Tonight I will run a test about how much it can lower temperature and report back.

I will compile a list of equipment used to create this one.

List of equipment.
    1. Peltier module (TEC 12706 )

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Peltier-Co...22/bn_16572704

2. Heat sink 40mmx 40mm

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...=40mm+heatsink

3. 12V Fan
    https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...m+fan&_sacat=0

4. Thermister with relay

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_..._odkw=40mm+fan

5. 40W 12V power supply (may need higher)

Whether it's effective remains to be seen....
    Last edited by Rebel; 10-09-18 at 02:01 PM. Reason: edit for clarification

Just curious, how are you going to attach it to the side of the filter? Are you going to cut the back of the plastic stand so you can fit the cooling fans onto the Peltier module? Or is the fan small enough that it'll fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    Just curious, how are you going to attach it to the side of the filter? Are you going to cut the back of the plastic stand so you can fit the cooling fans onto the Peltier module? Or is the fan small enough that it'll fit.
    I glued it using thermal paste and on the sides a wee bit of super glue on the edges.

Ideally it's best to cut a hole and seal that hold with a stainless steel 40mmx40mm and then attach the peltier to that. I may use that method in the future depending on my progress. I agree it's not the best to just put it on the plastic, especially for efficiency.

Super glue will let go st certain temps I believe. So make sure this glue joint isn't getting to hot bro
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Super glue will let go st certain temps I believe. So make sure this glue joint isn't getting to hot bro
    Hmm.... It 'may' get hot at times although I am working to try and prevent it but running the fan for few minutes after the peltier switches off. Need to find a relay that can do this.

Thanks Indir.

OK so looks like superglue is going to be ok.
    https://hardforum.com/threads/superg...rance.1359132/

This design has failed.

When it's running, the temperature of the water increases!! It's due to the fact that the fan on the hot side is too small and the cold side is insulated due to the plastic, therefore the hot swamps out the cold.

Need to rethink my design.

In the mean time, a simple 120mm USB fan on top of my fluval edge grille (crude) has dropped the temperature by 5 degrees. 23 to 18. Cheaper but you need to top up water almost every 3 days. This is a reasonable compromise and I am now confident I can keep these CRS alive for the moment.

I'd go for something more like what's in the video as far as heat sink and fan. You'll need something bigger than a simple heatsink.

There may be bigger blue liquid blocks available which would be much easier than cutting a hole in the side of the filter

Quote Originally Posted by mtwalkert28 View Post
    I'd go for something more like what's in the video as far as heat sink and fan. You'll need something bigger than a simple heatsink.

There may be bigger blue liquid blocks available which would be much easier than cutting a hole in the side of the filter
    I agree. My hope was to make the setup small but that hasn't worked out.

The aluminium heat blocks that you mentioned can't be used in the aquariums due to leeching in acidic water. Otherwise I would have used that.

I may look for a stainless steel cooling block at some stage. For the moment the fan works but not that great with the evaporation....