Thread: New Lights

Default New Lights

This is almost what I have been waiting for....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RGB-...ceBeautifyAB=0

If anyone is in the market for a LED light, you could consider this one....

Note I don't have any experience with it etc.

It's a pity the larger sizes appear to be sold out otherwise I would give it a go

Also some new lights by Chihiros - 3 new varieties. I think they have attempted to clone the ADA RGB (called the vivid RGB).

https://www.facebook.com/chihirosaqu...f&__tn__=kCH-R

New chihiros lights could be good, the "WRGB series" looks like twinstar knock-offs and the VIVID RGB looks kind of like a ADA solar knock-off, so if they perform like twinstar/ADA and are cheaper thats a win!

I wonder how they'd go on 60cm deep tanks, I'm in the market for some new lights for my 8 footer

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey View Post
    I wonder how they'd go on 60cm deep tanks, I'm in the market for some new lights for my 8 footer
    That's a hard ask anyways but wait and see. You'd need lenses to focus the light to the substrate if you wanted to grow stuff on the foreground.

I’d check out 2 of the 4 foot micmol aqua air 1200 LED Light units for an 8 footer.
    Vebas in WA stock these and have a connector for putting 2 light units together.
    I like West African Cichlids and Planted Tanks

Probably not that great, the WRGB dont seem that overly powered, more designed for great colour reproduction I am thinking.

I did see they quoted the Vivid light at 125w which is a fair bit, being a ADA solar copy I am guessing it will only be sold in one fixed length (about 45cm) tho they probably have good light distribution, still you would would have to hang multiple units, perhaps 4 and they probably wont be cheap, Im going to guess $400 AUD per light... thats a total guess but I think they are trying to move away from the super cheap market with these new lights.

For 8ft long I would probably look at MakeMyLed tubes at-least then you can customize the lenses etc to get more punch.

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    It's a pity the larger sizes appear to be sold out otherwise I would give it a go
    Can connect two of them to make up 4 footer I think. Two wires from each side though.

You can even connect the 40+60 for a 100cm tank apparently, according to website.
    Last edited by Rebel; 11-09-18 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    This is almost what I have been waiting for....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RGB-...ceBeautifyAB=0

If anyone is in the market for a LED light, you could consider this one....

Note I don't have any experience with it etc.
    I somehow missed this thread.

But those lights look great. Similar look to a Chihiros light.

Nice that they have included a spectrum chart. The smart controller would be very handy as well.

Only thing is the light is a bit expensive. The 2ft light is USD $70 shipped. After GST and currency conversion it is over $100. So the the larger the light the more expensive it will get.

But still good light given it is a full spectrum rgb light with a smart controller.

Since they are high power LEDS, it's difficult to compare the prices directly with Chihiros. I think the spectrum is way better aesthetically (my guess). For me it's all about the aesthetics, because any light can grow plants in general. Red plants are a complex subject though.

Yeah these lights would definitely be better for the red plants compared to the chihiros lights. Chihiros are still very good value but their rgb version is fairly expensive. It's good to have someone new give them a challenge.

It would be fun to try out and see how it performs and how hot the unit gets. The chihiros light get's pretty hot at the highest setting!

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    The chihiros light get's pretty hot at the highest setting!
    Yep, I ordered a thermometer recently to check this level. I definitely don't suggest anyone use it beyond 5/7. It would be far too much light in any case. Apparently the RGB version also overheats and warps the acrylic.