Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: imba's New 2ft Journal

Quote Originally Posted by imba View Post
    another little update ... I was quite lucky to find some lemon white cloud minnows at Aquaristic, and hopped on the opportunity to grab 14 of these stunning nano fish. They get to only about 2.5 - 3cm full grown, so they stay smaller compared to the regular WCMM. They've settled in well and have big appetites! Will try to get some close up shots of them soon.

I also decided to add a black background, some Bolbitis and got a new Aquael 100w heater that works much better than the cheap ass one I had.

Fishes in now are
    14 Lemon WCMM
    10 Corydoras Hastatus
    10 Shrimps (2 decided to jump)
    1 Nerite Snail

I was thinking to either add 2 Otos OR 6 CPDs and call it a day.

I also like your tank and I like the fact that you have gone for the lemons. Can you try to breed? I am sure there will be a lot of interest in fry (myself included) if you are successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Tetra View Post
    Your tank looks really nice!

I would swap AR mini for a small crypt. The former might not like the current spot. Based on my experience, it does not like to be shaded and prefers some flow around it.

I would not add CPDs, because the tank might look too busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Looking super and very smart way to do a non CO2 tank.

My bet would be that the CPDs will hide at the back and will be beaten to the food by the others.
    Thanks guys! Thanks for the tip about the AR, I'll keep an eye on its progress. With the CPDs I heard they are shy, but I was hoping that with the level of activity with the other fishes out and about, they would be less shy and compete for food too, haha.

What do you think if I added one Honey Gourami as a centerpiece? Just to add abit of colour? would that be a better idea?

Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    I also like your tank and I like the fact that you have gone for the lemons. Can you try to breed? I am sure there will be a lot of interest in fry (myself included) if you are successful.
    I've never breed fish before, as I've still quite new to the hobby. I do have a spare 25 litre tank ... Hmm... Maybe I'll give it a try once these guys reach maturity. Thanks for the idea!

@Imba, Dwarf gourami (get a blue one!) is not a bad idea at all, although it will probably have a go at the smaller shrimp (sometimes even the bigger ones).

To breed to minnows, I would suggest getting an outdoor pond (perfect for summer) of at least 200L. Just fill with tap water/dechlorinator and leave for a month. Add some plants such as hornwort. Then add the breeding fish.

@Imba, Dwarf gourami (get a blue one!) is not a bad idea at all, although it will probably have a go at the smaller shrimp (sometimes even the bigger ones).

To breed to minnows, I would suggest getting an outdoor pond (perfect for summer) of at least 200L. Just fill with tap water/dechlorinator and leave for a month. Add some plants such as hornwort. Then add the breeding fish.
    Or just pop the hornwort or spawning mop in your tank and after one week transfer into the small tank together with some wc water from your main tank and wait.

Thanks guys! Thanks for the tip about the AR, I'll keep an eye on its progress. With the CPDs I heard they are shy, but I was hoping that with the level of activity with the other fishes out and about, they would be less shy and compete for food too, haha.

What do you think if I added one Honey Gourami as a centerpiece? Just to add abit of colour? would that be a better idea?

I've never breed fish before, as I've still quite new to the hobby. I do have a spare 25 litre tank ... Hmm... Maybe I'll give it a try once these guys reach maturity. Thanks for the idea!
    I think honey gourami sounds good if there is not too much current and your room is not too cold in winter as they can catch cold from surface air. I have had gouramis jump so a lid would probably be good for them. I would go the original honeys not the yellow ones sold these days. Probably dwarf gouramis as per rebel would be a better option as they are less touchy and shy (I had one that stood up to a red tailed shark). I think now that you have a shooling species you should probably think of something less shoaly like gouramis, bettas or dwarf cichlids.
    Breeding white clouds is as easy as 1,2,3. The lemons should be the same. May I ask what you paid for them?

Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    I think honey gourami sounds good if there is not too much current and your room is not too cold in winter as they can catch cold from surface air. I have had gouramis jump so a lid would probably be good for them. I would go the original honeys not the yellow ones sold these days. Probably dwarf gouramis as per rebel would be a better option as they are less touchy and shy (I had one that stood up to a red tailed shark). I think now that you have a shooling species you should probably think of something less shoaly like gouramis, bettas or dwarf cichlids.
    Breeding white clouds is as easy as 1,2,3. The lemons should be the same. May I ask what you paid for them?
    Thanks for the advice on the Gouramis.

The lemons were $8 a pop. More than double the price of regular WCMMs but given how rarely the come by, I didn't mind.
    Here is a closer phone image of them, not really coloured up yet, but I like their subtle beauty.

Thanks for the advice on the Gouramis.

The lemons were $8 a pop. More than double the price of regular WCMMs but given how rarely the come by, I didn't mind.
    Here is a closer phone image of them, not really coloured up yet, but I like their subtle beauty.

8$ is a bargain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12