Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue ram video blast from the past

Cool Blue ram video blast from the past

https://youtu.be/yVvDoxYm0oM

For some reason there's music dubbed over it now.
    Wasnt me.

Anyway, you cant get rams like this anymore.
    Genuine german imported rams.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Nice rams definitely Otsipa on here used to have some very nice stock he was breeding and selling to other hobbyists, however ever since he retired his tanks they have all disappeared It seems no one else was breeding them!

Would love to find someone with any of his rams, would grab them and set up a tank to keep them going for sure!
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Nice rams definitely Otsipa on here used to have some very nice stock he was breeding and selling to other hobbyists, however ever since he retired his tanks they have all disappeared It seems no one else was breeding them!

Would love to find someone with any of his rams, would grab them and set up a tank to keep them going for sure!
    What about the stock sold from New Life Aquariums in Abbotsford. Apparently they import true German bred Blue Rams. I bought a couple and think they are pretty high quality. Or are these even better than those?

Havent seen their rams, im in Sydney myself so no trips to New life Any pics of yours?
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Havent seen their rams, im in Sydney myself so no trips to New life Any pics of yours?
    I'll try and grab some tonight after work.

How can one tell the Germans from non-Germans?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    How can one tell the Germans from non-Germans?
    Usually their colouration and shape. The Germans usually exhibit colour at a much younger age and also don't display that annoying trait of a hollow/concave belly. Also, I reckon they grow larger and live longer than the locally bred ones.

Others please chime in.

Hard to tell anymore I recon... (Are we even able to get cichlids imported from german suppliers anymore? I didnt think we could...) But I think people just base it on the quality and call them german bred these days. Get to charge more this way i guess lol. Just pick the highest quality you can find and breed for the right traits, etc. This is what made Otsipa's rams the quality they were. That and having quality stock to begin with (which was originally imported from germany I believe).

Hard to tell anymore I recon... (Are we even able to get cichlids imported from german suppliers anymore? I didnt think we could...) But I think people just base it on the quality and call them german bred these days. Get to charge more this way i guess lol. Just pick the highest quality you can find and breed for the right traits, etc. This is what made Otsipa's rams the quality they were. That and having quality stock to begin with (which was originally imported from germany I believe).
    That's what I was thinking.

People are just calling this and that. Much like Bucephaladra species.

Also it's intriguing how only the Germans can breed these well. :P

Hard to tell anymore I recon... (Are we even able to get cichlids imported from german suppliers anymore? I didnt think we could...) ......
    Actually, New Life Aquariums state they import directly from Germany and regularly claim they make trips to the airport to pick up quarantined fish from customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    Actually, New Life Aquariums state they import directly from Germany and regularly claim they make trips to the airport to pick up quarantined fish from customs.
    We need to infiltrate the Germans and learn their techniques!!

I am curious to see how only they seem to be able to keep the Rams so good.

Perhaps only they have good fish farms though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    We need to infiltrate the Germans and learn their techniques!!

I am curious to see how only they seem to be able to keep the Rams so good.

Perhaps only they have good fish farms though.
    I would imagine it's because they were heavily involved in importing these fish early on and began with a very diversified stock to begin with. Look at what they've done with Discus.

The Germans (East Europeans) Are class aquarists......They line breed them and cull the rubbish.....if you don't cull the rubbish you end up with the majority being rubbish.
    They only pick the best to breed with....and thats not just the ones with the strongest colour....finnage and body shape is important

The Best rams I've owned were Australian breed.....no doubt from German Imports.

Seems Rams from Asia are overfeed with colour food.....often very colourful but finnage and body shape is rubbish....this is what the average punter is more than Happy to own
    but they don't seem to breed normal rams.....they are all colour morphs, short bodied or long finned crap
    Last edited by Rod; 29-08-18 at 02:36 PM.

A lot of the good quality fish from Germany have to do with Aquarium Glaser which is a high quality wholesaler and otsipa got his imported fish from them.

Interesting chat.
    After viewing my old vid, i was surprised at how good those fish were 10 years ago. They were readily available at any good lfs. And stocked next to the non german ones, they were like chalk and cheese.
    Mine were originally from Horst when he had his shop at bondi junction. He never stocked the cheaper strains.
    You dont see fish like this here anymore.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast